Frequently Asked Questions
1. What kind of placement is eligible for credit?
The GULC Faculty has approved the award of credit for field placements with judicial, government or non-profit offices.
2. When can I participate in an externship?
Any student who has successfully completed 1L or 1E course requirements is eligible to participate in the externship program.
3. I tried to register for the externship, but it's not showing up on my schedule.
Students who wish to enroll in the externship should complete the on-line application that can be accessed through the JD Externship web site.Once an application has been approved, the student's name will be forwarded to the Office of the Registrar.
4. How should I rank the class so that I can be sure that I get selected?
You cannot register yourself for the externship program.(See answer 3.) There is no cap on the number of students who may enroll in the Externship Program.
5. Can I sign up before I have a placement?
Students should secure a placement prior to submitting an application.
6. The office where I want to work hasn't given me a decision yet, and I missed the application deadline.
Students awaiting a decision should meet with either a counselor in JD Academic Services in McD 352, or with the Externship Director to discuss a registration strategy.
7. How many hours do I need to work?
Georgetown requires 165 hours for 3 credits or 110 hours for 2 credits.Please note that your placement may require more.
8. How many weeks do I need to work?
Students are required to spend at least 11 weeks at their placements during the academic year, and at least six weeks during the summer.
9. Do I have to write a paper?
Students are required to submit 10-12 pages of reflective writing over the course of the semester.This includes a final reflection memo that is 5-7 pages.
10. Is there a class?
The Externship Program includes five class meetings over the course of the semester.
11. What forms do I need to complete for Georgetown?
All forms can be found on TWEN.
12. Can I work during finals?
Students must complete their hours at their placements by the end of classes so that they may devote adequate time to final papers and exams.
13. What if I work more than the required hours?
You are eligible to receive Pro Bono Pledge credit for any hours worked in excess of your 110 or 165 required externship hours. Students may sign up for the Pro Bono Pledge on line through the OPICS web site at http://www.law.georgetown.edu/careers/opics/pro-bono/pro_bono_pledge/index.cfm.
14. What if my placement requires me to provide certification of my student status?
Please submit such requests to the Office of the Registrar. The Registrar will require a signature to process the requests. The certification form can be found at http://www.law.georgetown.edu/campus-services/registrar/transcripts-certifications-bar-information/index.cfm. Signed requests can be mailed, faxed (202-662-9235), or scanned and emailed as a pdf file to email@example.com.