Policies & Course Requirements
POLICIES REGARDING SATISFACTION OF JD EXTERNSHIP PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS
Students must complete all administrative, classroom, and written work requirements detailed in the syllabus for this course in order to be eligible for an award of credit.
- Orientation is mandatory.
- Failure to attend orientation will result in withdrawal from the program.
- You must sign up for attend 3 component classes.
- Attendance is mandatory.
- Class sign-ups are open from the beginning of add/drop until the last day of orientation.
- Once sign-up sheets are locked, you will need special permission to make any changes.
FAILURE TO SATISFY PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS
- Failure to complete placement hours and program requirements will result in a grade of "F" in the course.
- Failure to attend all classes and/or submit all written work will result in withdrawal from the class.
- Failure to meet any requirements will result in ineligibility for a future waiver of the one-externship policy and could have consequences for eligibility for other experiential learning courses.
- For graduating students, the infractions above may result in a referral to the Law Center ethics counsel.
Students in the 3 credit seminar must work at their placements at least 15 hours per week for 11 weeks, for a total of 165 hours. Students in the 2 credit seminar must work at their placements at least 10 hours per week for 11 weeks, for a total of 110 hours.
During the summer session, students must work the total number of hours over a minimum of 6 weeks.
Students who wish to change between the two and three credit offerings should do so during the add/drop period.
For students considering the 2 credit option, please note that some placements may require that students work a minimum of 15 hours each week. While 10 hours per week is sufficient to satisfy the Law Center credit requirement, it may not be consistent with the expectations of every prospective placement. Please research and confirm the requirements of any existing program prior to committing to an externship.
Please review these policies carefully. You are responsible for all of the information in this document. By enrolling in the externship program, you agree to be bound by the policies above.