New Projects and Initiatives
In 2013-2014, the Juvenile Justice Clinic launched a number of new initiatives to raise the level of practice among juvenile defenders locally and nationally, responding to specific needs in the community.
New initiatives include:
- DC Juvenile Panel Trial Practice Group: providing training and resources to court-appointed juvenile defenders in DC,
- The Juvenile Training Immersion Program (JTIP) Summer Academy at Georgetown Law: hosting a one-week intensive training program for juvenile defenders nationwide in partnership with the National Juvenile Defender Center,
- Post-Commitment Advocacy: identifying and implementing best practices in advocating for youth in post-commitment proceedings through a new practicum course offering,
- Sealing Records: providing resources and support for defenders and youth who wish to seal juvenile records, and
- The Mid-Atlantic Juvenile Defender Center: providing technical assistance and training for juvenile defenders throughout the Mid-Atlantic region in partnership with the Mid-Atlantic Juvenile Defender Center.