- To what extent does the firm specialize in your area?
- What are some of the most interesting matters on which attorneys are currently working? (do not ask this question until you have researched recent media and journal reports)
- What types of clients does the firm represent?
- What is the firm's reputation regarding quality of life?
- Does the firm have offices in other locations, both in the United States and abroad?
- How are assignments determined? What kind of responsibility can a newly hired attorney expect to receive?
- How are training, development and mentoring programs structured?
- What is the firm's annual billable hour expectation from associates? What are the firm's pro bono and/or client development expectations of associates? Are pro bono hours counted toward the firm's billable hour requirement?
- How does the firm support pro bono work? Political activities? Government service? Do many associates leave the firm for government service and then return at a later date?
- Does the firm support its attorneys' participation in bar and professional association activities by paying annual membership dues, and/or recognizing time spent on bar activities? Does each associate receive an annual financial allotment for such professional activities?
- How many partners started with the firm as associates? What is the answer to this question for individual practice areas in which you may be interested? (Many large law firms are run like mini "fiefdoms." Therefore, it is critical to get to know the particular group to which you may be assigned.)
- What is the firm's management system? How do associates participate in management (i.e., do associates serve on various firm committees)? If so, how are such assignments made? Do assignments rotate each year?
- What are the firm's ratios of partners to associates both generally and in specific practice areas?
- Does the firm have a formal mentoring program?
- Does the firm have different partnership levels? Are there multiple associate billable hour and compensation tracks? What is the duration of the firm's typical partnership track?
- What is the firm's performance evaluation process for associates? How are partnership and advancement decisions made?
Back to Factors to Consider
Back to Interviews