- What is the organization's mandate?
- When was the organization established, and by whom? (Make sure to research the professional background of the current head or General Counsel before asking this question.)
- Who are the organization's clients, members and/or constituents?
- What benefits does the organization offer? For example, does the organization participate in a student loan forgiveness program?
- What is the organization's funding base? Is the funding secure? Are current events expected to affect the budget? In turn, will budgetary matters affect staffing? For example, are staff positions dependent on renewable sources of funding? Are staff attorneys responsible in any way for securing funding to support their position(s)? Is the staff attorney's position only for a finite period of time, akin to a yearly fellowship that must be renewed?
- What is the organization's reputation in the legal and public interest communities, among its constituents and on Capitol Hill?
- Does the organization have an ideological slant? If so, what is it? Is it compatible with your political or personal philosophy? What type of background would be a good fit with the organization?
- What are some of the most interesting matters in which the organization has been involved recently? (Make sure to research media and journal reports before asking this question.)
- What are some of the organization's current goals and priorities? Where is the organization going, and what do its current directors wish to accomplish in the future?
- How has the organization evolved in recent years?
- What kind of responsibility can a new LL.M. graduate expect to receive?
- What kind of work do staff attorneys perform? Does the organization focus on direct client service or policy work? If policy-centric, who are the organization's legislative allies? If both, how much of the advocacy work is policy-based versus direct client work? If a significant portion of the work involves client service, how heavy is the individual attorney's caseload?
- What kind of training and mentoring does the organization offer new attorneys?
- How much staff turnover has the organization experienced in the last few years?
- How large is the legal staff, typically?
Back to Factors to Consider
Back to Interviews