Georgetown Law Open on Time
The Law Center will open on time Monday, March 2, 2015, but liberal leave is in effect. All designated emergency employees must report to work on time. All other employees may take unscheduled leave, but should contact their supervisor to discuss the needs of their unit and individual circumstances.
Job Search Checklist
Organize Yourself and Commit the Time
- Focus on academics. Good grades are critical to an effective job search.
- Define and evaluate your career goals.
- Network through local associations, contacts and events at Georgetown Law. Attend appropriate events to expand network. Make the effort to meet and follow up with a minimum of two people per event.
- Attend Drop-in Sessions with Graduate Career and Professional Development.
- Research and create a target list of potential employers. Strive for 20 employers per city of interest.
- Check Symplicity on a regular basis.
- Calendar known deadlines and employers’ application requirements.
- Create and proofread resume.
- Create and proofread cover letter.
- Contact references and create reference sheet.
- Create and update contact database.
- Join professional and bar associations devoted to your targeted areas of law.
- Contact selected alumni from your undergraduate and/or law programs.
- Arrange informational interviews.
- Prepare for interview process.
- Promptly write thank you letter for all formal and informational interviews.
- Send out cover letters and resumes to established contacts with firms of interest.
- If you have no established contacts with a firm of interest, send out cover letters and resumes to the hiring partners or heads of the departments in your interest area.
Back to LL.M. Career Planning Strategies