Job Search Checklist
Organize Yourself and Commit the Time
- Focus on academics. Good grades are critical to an effective job search.
- Define and evaluate your career goals.
- Network through local associations, contacts and events at Georgetown Law. Attend appropriate events to expand network. Make the effort to meet and follow up with a minimum of two people per event.
- Attend Open Office Hours with Graduate Career and Professional Development.
- Research and create a target list of potential employers. Strive for 20 employers per city of interest.
- Check Symplicity on a regular basis.
- Calendar known deadlines and employers’ application requirements.
- Create and proofread resume.
- Create and proofread cover letter.
- Contact references and create reference sheet.
- Create and update contact database.
- Join professional and bar associations devoted to your targeted areas of law.
- Contact selected alumni from your undergraduate and/or law programs.
- Arrange informational interviews.
- Prepare for interview process.
- Promptly write thank you letter for all formal and informational interviews.
- Send out cover letters and resumes to established contacts with firms of interest.
- If you have no established contacts with a firm of interest, send out cover letters and resumes to the hiring partners or heads of the departments in your interest area.
Back to LL.M. Career Planning Strategies