Purpose of a Resume
Conservative, succinct, accurate and relevant are the key words for preparing your legal resume. Do not allow your busy schedule to justify presenting anything less than perfect. It is imperative that your resume highlights the qualifications you bring to the table for each individual employer.
Your resume should:
- Highlight the academic and work experiences that make you a qualified applicant for that particular employer or job announcement;
- Demonstrate relevant additional skills and achievements;
- Present substantive information in an organized, succinct and eye-catching manner; and
- Represent your ability to write well and to pay close attention to detail.
Your resume should not:
- Include a detailed biography;
- Be a document for all occasions, all jobs and all employers; or
- Be a compilation of all previous job descriptions.
Back to Preparing and Effective Resume