Georgetown Law Open on Time
The Law Center will open on time Monday, March 2, 2015, but liberal leave is in effect. All designated emergency employees must report to work on time. All other employees may take unscheduled leave, but should contact their supervisor to discuss the needs of their unit and individual circumstances.
Ali Adnan Ibrahim, S.J.D. '08
Vice President, Al Baraka Banking Group
Adjunct Professor of Law, Georgetown University Law Center
LL.B., International Islamic University; LL.M., Washington University in St. Louis; S.J.D., Georgetown
Dr. Ibrahim joined the Al Baraka Banking Group, headquartered in Bahrain, as Vice President in 2010, and leads the Group's M&A, Shariah structuring, and microfinance initiatives. Prior to joining Al Baraka Banking Group, Dr. Ibrahim was Counsel at Baker & McKenzie and a senior associate at Rizvi, Isa, Afridi & Angell and at Akram Sheikh Law Associates in Pakistan.
Since 2008, Dr. Ibrahim has been an Adjunct Professor of Law at Georgetown where he designed a class on Islamic Finance Law. He is Co-Chair of the American Bar Association's Islamic Finance Committee, an Islamic Finance Professional Expert for Pakistan's Federal Shariah Court and a Specialist-Respondent for the World Bank. When he entered Georgetown to begin his S.J.D., he was the first Pakistani lawyer to receive a Fulbright Doctoral Scholarship.
- Incentivizing Microfinance for Islamic Financial Institutions: Financially Mainstreaming the Microenterprise, in Shariah Compliant Microfinance, Routledge (2011)
- Analysing the Growth of Islamic Law in International Arbitration and Dispute Resolution, (2009) (MEALEY'S International Arbitration Report)
- Developing Capital Markets in Muslim Countries: Strategies and Policies for Securities Regulation and Corporate Governance (2008), (Islamic Development Bank, KSA)
- The Rise of Customary Businesses in International Financial Markets: An Introduction to Islamic Finance and the Islamic Financial Services Industry (2008) (American University International Law Review) (appeared as the lead article in a special Islamic finance issue)
- Convergence of Corporate Governance and Islamic Financial Services Industry: Toward Islamic Financial Services Securities Market (2007), (Harvard Law School, Cambridge, MA)