Guidelines for Departments and Students
On-Campus employment is work performed for Georgetown University on-campus. This includes work at the Law Center or on Main Campus.
- A student in valid J-1 status may engage in on-campus employment.
- Employment may begin up to 30 days prior to the program start date listed on the student's Form DS-2019.
- All J-1 student employment may not exceed 20 hours per week while school is in session.
- Employment may exceed 20 hours per week during official school breaks or vacations, such as the summer session.
- Approval for on-campus employment is automatically withdrawn when the student's program is completed or terminated.
Does the student have a Social Security Number (SSN)?
YES: Request on-campus work authorization letter from student for I-9 purposes.
NO: Request on-campus work authorization letter from student and tell the student to complete the application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).
Do you have a Social Security Number (SSN)?
YES: Complete the J-1 On-Campus Work Form to get work authorization letter from Graduate Programs* and give work authorization letter to employer.
NO: Complete the J-1 On-Campus Work Form to get the work authorization letter from Graduate Programs; Complete application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5); Give work authorization letter to employer.
*If your DS-2019 is not sponsored by Georgetown, contact your sponsor for an on-campus work authorization letter.
Completing the Hiring Paperwork
You will be required to complete hiring paperwork, including the I-9 form, with the Payroll Office (202 662-9050) on the 5th floor of McDonough
- I-9 Form: Federal law requires the University to verify the identity and the legal ability to work of all its employees before the third day of employment. You will be asked to choose from a list of documents that establish your legal status and to provide the originals of those documents to your employer. The complete list of documents is available on the I-9 Form. The following combinations of documents are most commonly available for J-1 international students: Unexpired Passport, Form I-94, Form DS-2019, Georgetown/sponsor work authorization letter.