Change of Status

Change of status to F-1 or J-1 is a process in which an individual changes from one non-immigrant status to another non-immigrant status. If you currently reside in the United States and wish to change your non-immigrant status to F-1 or J-I to participate in a full-time Georgetown full-time program, we recommend changing your status through travel. 

To change to F-1 or J-1 status through travel, request an initial entry immigration document from Georgetown and then travel outside the United States and apply for an F-1 or J-1 visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad.  You will then be able to reenter the United States with the F-1 or J-1 student documentation up to 30 days prior to your program start date. You will obtain F-1 or J-1 status when you re-enter with the F-1 or J-1 visa. 


The Law Center no longer supports applications to USCIS for a change of status within the U.S. because the current processing time exceeds the length of most of our programs. 

On The Web

Maps & Directions

Google Location Map Georgetown University Law Center 600 New Jersey Avenue NW Washington, DC 20001