Application Process

What is the FAFSA school code for Georgetown Law?


Should I wait until I am admitted to file for financial aid?

Although you will not be able to complete the Georgetown Institutional Aid Application (the Yellow Form) until you are admitted, please be sure to complete the FAFSA and, if applying for grant aid, the CSS PROFILE (Profile Code 7306) by the priority deadline of March 15. This ensures that your application for financial aid will be considered as soon as possible after you are admitted.

What if I, or my parents, haven't completed our tax returns by the March 15 priority deadline date?

Go ahead and complete the applications with the best estimate of prior year income. Depending on what types of aid you are applying for, you may need to submit signed copies of federal tax returns to our office once they are completed. It is important to provide the most accurate information you possibly can, because the actual data may alter your eligibility once it is reviewed.

What is verification? What happens if my file is selected for the verification process?

Verification is a process that provides for confirmation of the data provided on the FAFSA with actual tax data. Verification itself is a federal requirement and applications are selected by the U.S. Department of Education. If your FAFSA is selected for verification you will be notified on the Student Aid Report you receive from the Department of Education after your FAFSA has been processed.  You will need to request that your FAFSA information be matched with certain IRS information by using the IRS Data Retrieval tool within the FAFSA. 

Why do I have to submit a copy of my W-2 form(s) in addition to my federal tax return?

We need a copy of your W-2 form(s) because of the particular information regarding income earned from work and pre-tax withholdings.

Should I report the total amounts accumulated in IRA and Keogh plans on the FAFSA? 

No. You do not have to include retirement plan accumulations when totaling the value of assets. However, any annual contribution must be reported since they are considered discretionary payments and are usually untaxed income.

I'm in the evening division, am I eligible for financial aid? 

Yes. Students in the evening division may apply for Federal Stafford Loans, Federal Graduate PLUS Loans, commercial loans, and Federal Work-Study to assist with both tuition and living expenses.  Evening students are not eligible for need-based grant assistance.

I was awarded a scholarship from a private outside organization. Do I need to inform the Financial Aid Office? 

Yes. If you let us know about your outside aid we can help you determine how the scholarship will affect your eligibility for other financial aid funds. It's helpful to know this early in the process. If we find out about the outside aid when the sponsor sends your money to Georgetown Law, it may cause budgeting problems, especially if we have to cancel  aid you are no longer eligible to receive. Georgetown Law grant recipients should review The Guidebook for more details.

What should I do if my federal financial aid won't cover all of my expenses? 

You can make an appointment to discuss budgeting concerns with your financial aid counselor.

It's the middle of the school year and I haven't applied for financial aid. Is it too late or can I still apply? 

There are priority deadlines established to ensure timely processing of financial aid requests, but students can request financial aid throughout most of the academic year. Review the rest of our web site for general guidance on financial aid and contact our office for assistance with the application process.

On The Web

Maps & Directions

Google Location Map Georgetown University Law Center 600 New Jersey Avenue NW Washington, DC 20001