The deadline for new applicants is May 1, 2013.
-- Detailed instructions and certification forms for new applicants
-- Online application
The deadline for renewal applicants is May 1, 2013.
-- Detailed instructions and certification forms for renewal applicants
-- Online application
LRAP applications are available annually in October and are due NO LATER THAN November 1st. The mid-year application is available in April with a deadline date of May 1st. If the 1st falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or holiday, all materials will be considered timely if they are received by the next business day. All sections of the online application must be complete as well as mailing or faxing required documentation. The applicant is responsible for submitting a complete application by the established deadline. If qualifying employment has been secured before the deadline, but the position does not begin until after the deadline date, the LRAP committee will make every attempt to review applicant eligibility based on the availability of funds. However, applicants should submit all other relevant paperwork by the published deadlines.
For renewal applicants that may not be eligible for LRAP funding who wish to stay active in the program, please submit a copy of your Employer Certification every May 1st and November 1st.
The following process of consolidating your federal loans with Direct Lending under either the PAYE or IBR payment plan, and receiving a Loan Disclosure Repayment Schedule should be completed in advance of the deadline dates of May 1 and November 1 for LRAP consideration.
PLEASE NOTE: If all of your federal loans were borrowed through Direct Lending (most likely after July 1, 2010) then you are not required to consolidate since your loans are already with Federal Direct.
- The federal programs require that the borrower’s federal loan(s) be consolidated with the Federal Direct Loan Program.
- Visit The National Student Loan Data System to obtain all of your federal loan data and then begin the consolidation process which should take between 60-90 days once you apply. You should report the grace period end date as either "NONE" or the most recent date possible from the drop-down box. Otherwise, Direct Lending will not begin the consolidation process. Please make sure to submit a copy of the Direct Consolidation Loan Summary Sheet with your LRAP application.
- During the consolidation process you should request "Pay As Your Earn (PAYE)", if eligible, or "Income-Based Repayment (IBR)", if not, as your payment option by completing the Repayment Plan Selection form.
- Keep in contact with your lenders to make sure they are providing the Department with your payoff amounts and follow up with the Department of Education to make sure they have all the information necessary to complete the consolidation. Once the consolidation is complete the Department will send you a Loan Disclosure Repayment Schedule with your PAYE/IBR payment and your loans will be in a repayment status. Since LRAP benefits do not begin until July 1 (following the May 1 application deadline) or January 1 (following the November 1 application deadline), you can opt to pay any monthly payment before then yourself or request a forbearance. You must have your first scheduled payment due by July in order to receive an LRAP award for the July through December term and January for the January through June term. Please keep a copy of the Loan Disclosure Repayment Schedule to submit with your LRAP application.
- If you’d like to learn more about PAYE/IBR, please read our Guide to Income-Based Repayment Plans and Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
- Fill out the LRAP online application for new participants.
- Print, complete and submit Instructions for new LRAP participants.
We require that you submit your LRAP application in its entirety once your consolidation process is complete and you’ve received your PAYE/IBR payment schedule.