Move-In and Welcome Week Information
2017-2018 Move-In Information
We are looking forward to meeting you and welcoming you to the Gewirz Student Center on Saturday, August 19th, 2017. We want your move into Gewirz to be as smooth as possible. To assist you with your move, we are providing you with the following information.
2017-2018 Move-in Schedule
All residents will be able to move in beginning Saturday, August 19th. The move in schedule is based on your room assignment and is as follows:
- 9:00am-10:30am - Floors 10 & 11
- 10:30am - 12:00pm - Floors 8 & 9
- 12:00pm - 1:30pm - Floors 6 & 7
- 1:30pm - 3:00pm - Floors 4 & 5
- 3:00pm - 4:30pm - Floors 2 & 3
If travel does not allow you to move in during your assigned floor move-in time, you may still move in on Saturday, August 19th. However, please note that the building elevators will be set to run to the floors assigned to those times. Residents waiting for an elevator outside of their assigned time may have to wait longer until one becomes available. If you will be moving in after August 19th, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, to notify us of your move-in date so we know when to expect you.
Free short term parking will be available on Saturday, August 19th and Sunday, August 20th in the Gewirz Center garage. No access cards will be needed for the garage on these days. All guest vehicle must be moved by 8:00am on Monday, August 21st.
The Gewirz Student Center is conveniently located near many comfortable accommodations for your guests.
- The Hotel George (15 E Street NW, Washington, DC 20001; (202) 347-4200)
- Washington Court Hotel (525 New Jersey Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20001; (202) 628-2100)
- Hyatt Regency Washington DC Capitol Hill (400 New Jersey Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20001; (202) 737-1234)
- Liaison Hotel (415 New Jersey Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20001; (202) 638-1616)
- The Phoenix Park Hotel (520 North Capitol Street NW, Washington, DC 20001; (800) 824-5419)
- Fairfield Inn and Suites (500 H Street NW, Washington, DC 20001; (202-289-5959)
Mailing Address and Shipping Information
Your Gewirz mailing address is below:
120 F Street NW
Washington, DC 20001
All mail should be addressed to your mailbox number while all packages should be addressed to your apartment number. We will begin accepting mail and packages on Monday, August 15th. Please do not send any mail or packages to arrive to Gewirz prior to the 15th.
What to Bring
You may wish to bring the following items:
- extra long twin bed sheets (mattresses are 39"x 80)
- bed pillow(s)
- desk lamp
- bedside lamp
- pots and pans
- cooking utensils
- small microwave oven (there is a microwave oven cabinet in each kitchen which measures 21" wide x 12" deep x 15" high)
- cleaning supplies (including laundry detergent)
- trash can
- TV (must be compatible with digital cable services)
Please note that land-line telephones are not available in the Gewirz Student Center. Students wishing to use a telephone can only use cellular telephones in the building.
Nearby Shopping Information
To purchase any last-minute items or to help you get settled, here are some nearby shops:
- SAFEWAY (grocery store): 490 L STREET NW, WASHINGTON, DC 20001
- WALMART: 99 H STREET NW, WASHINGTON, DC 20001
- HARRIS TEETER (grocery store): 1201 1ST ST NE, WASHINGTON, DC 20002
- BED BATH AND BEYOND (housewares): 709 7TH STREET NW, WASHINGTON, DC 20001
- COLUMBIA HEIGHTS DC USA SHOPPING PLAZA (Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, Best Buy, Marshalls): 3100 14TH STREET NW, WASHINGTON, DC 20010
- TRADER JOE'S (grocery store): 1101 25TH STREET NW, WASHINGTON, DC 20037
- WHOLE FOODS (grocery store): 2201 I (EYE) STREET NW, WASHINGTON DC 20037
- IKEA (furniture and housewares): 10100 BALTIMORE AVENUE, COLLEGE PARK, MD 20740
2017-2018 Welcome Events