Move-In and Welcome Week Information
We are looking forward to meeting you and welcoming you to the Gewirz Student Center on Saturday, August 24th. We want your move into Gewirz to be as smooth as possible. To assist you with your move, we are providing you with the following information.
All residents will be able to move in beginning Saturday, August 24. The move in schedule is based on your room assignment and is as follows:
- 9:00am-11:00am - Floors 10 & 11
- 11:00am - 1:00pm - Floors 8 & 9
- 1:00pm - 3:00pm - Floors 6 & 7
- 3:00pm - 5:00pm - Floors 4 & 5
- 5:00pm - 7:00pm - Floors 2 & 3
If travel does not allow you to move in during your assigned floor move-in time, you may still move in on Saturday, August 24th. However, please note that the building elevators will be set to run to the floors assigned to those times. Residents waiting for an elevator outside of their assigned time may have to wait longer until one becomes available. If you will be moving in after August 24, please send us an e-mail, email@example.com, to notify us of your move-in date so we know when to expect you.
Registering and Unloading
On move-in day, you may only unload your vehicle in designated areas. Please follow the following directions:
- Drive along 2nd Street to the front of the building.Pick up your registration information and keys from the reception tent. DO NOT UNLOAD YOUR CAR ON 2nd STREET.
- After you pick up your registration folder and key, follow staff directions to the unloading zone. Staff will be available to help you unload your vehicle, but cannot assist with heavy or breakable items.
- Please follow staff directions and park your car as soon as it has been unloaded.
Free short term parking will be available on Saturday, August 24th and Sunday, August 25th in the Gewirz Center garage. No access cards will be needed for the garage on these days. All guest vehicle must be moved by 8:00am on Monday, August 26th.
The Gewirz Student Center is conveniently located near many comfortable accommodations for your guests.
- The Hotel George (15 E Street NW, Washington, DC 20001; (202) 347-4200)
- Washington Court Hotel (525 New Jersey Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20001; (202) 628-2100)
- Hyatt Regency Washington DC Capitol Hill (400 New Jersey Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20001; (202) 737-1234)
- Liaison Hotel (415 New Jersey Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20001; (202) 638-1616)
- The Phoenix Park Hotel (520 North Capitol Street NW, Washington, DC 20001; (800) 824-5419)
- Fairfield Inn and Suites (500 H Street NW, Washington, DC 20001; (202-289-5959)
Mailing Address and Shipping Information
Your Gewirz mailing address is below:
120 F Street NW
Washington, DC 20001
All mail should be addressed to your mailbox number while all packages should be addressed to your apartment number. We will begin accepting mail and packages on August 19th. Please do not send any mail or packages to arrive to Gewirz prior to the 19th.
What to Bring
You may wish to bring the following items:
- extra long twin bed sheets (mattresses are 39"x 80)
- bed pillow(s)
- desk lamp
- bedside lamp
- pots and pans
- cooking utensils
- small microwave oven (there is a microwave oven cabinet in each kitchen which measures 21" wide x 12" deep x 15" high)
- cleaning supplies (including laundry detergent)
- trash can
Please note that land-line telephones are not available in the Gewirz Student Center. Students wishing to use a telephone can only use cellular telephones in the building.
Nearby Shopping Information
To purchase any last-minute items or to help you get settled, here are some nearby shops:
- SAFEWAY (grocery store): 490 L STREET NW, WASHINGTON, DC 20001
- HARRIS TEETER (grocery store): 1201 1ST ST NE, WASHINGTON, DC 20002
- BED BATH AND BEYOND (housewares): 709 7TH STREET NW, WASHINGTON, DC 20001
- COLUMBIA HEIGHTS DCUSA SHOPPING PLAZA (Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, Best Buy, Marshalls): 3100 14TH STREET NW, WASHINGTON, DC 20010
- TRADER JOE'S (grocery store): 1101 25TH STREET NW, WASHINGTON, DC 20037
- WHOLE FOODS (grocery store): 2201 I (EYE) STREET NW, WASHINGTON DC 20037
- IKEA (furniture and housewares): 10100 BALTIMORE AVENUE, COLLEGE PARK, MD 20740
In order to help you meet your fellow residents and become acclimated to the city, the Office of Residence Life has created a number of welcome events to take place prior to Orientation.
SATURDAY, AUGUST 24
MOONLIGHT BUS TOUR OF WASHINGTON, DC - 8:00 PM
Relax, unwind and get to know some of your fellow residents as you get a better look at your new home!
Meet at the entrance of Gewirz at 7:45pm to start loading on to the buses.
SUNDAY, AUGUST 25
FIRST FLOOR MEETING - 6:00 or 6:45 PM
Your Resident Fellow will notify you whether your floor will be meeting at 6:00pm or 6:45pm. Thismeeting ismandatory and a great opportunity to meet your floor neighbors and get to know your RF.
WELCOME BBQ on the TOWER GREEN - 7:30PM
Enjoy BBQ food, music, and games – cornhole, croquet, bocce, and more! -- on the Tower Green as you are introduced to your Residence Life staff and fellow residents!
(In the event of rain, we'll still BBQ in the lobby of the Sport and Fitness Center)
MONDAY, AUGUST 26
THE GEWIRZ GREAT RACE - 11:00AM
Explore DC as you and your team vie for prizes and bragging rights in this city-wide scavenger hunt!
Meet outside the entrance of Gewirz to register and receive your race materials.
NIGHT OUT IN GALLERY PLACE! - 8:00PM
Join the Resident Fellows for a night out at some of their favorite hangouts in the Gallery Place/Chinatown/Penn Quarter neighborhood! (Iron Horse, Rocket Bar, Penn Social) [Penn Social has Monday night karaoke!
TUESDAY, AUGUST 27
MUSEUM TOURS - 12 NOON
Washington D.C. is home to a number of world-renowned museums…and entry is free of charge! Join your Resident Fellows on trips to Air and Space, Natural History, or American History.
WASHINGTON NATIONAL VS. MIAMI MARLINS - 6:00PM
Take a trip to Nationals Park to watch our home baseball team battle it out against the Miami Marlins. First pitch is at 7:05pm. Tickets are limited and can be purchased at the Gewirz front desk starting on Move-In Day for just $5!
If you will be needing accommodations at an event, please contact the Office of Residence Life (firstname.lastname@example.org at your earliest convenience. Every effort will be made to provide appropriate accommodations for you.