Resident Fellow Application
Resident Fellows (RFs) assist and advise students residing in the Gewirz Student Center. RFs serve a hybrid role with some responsibilities being similar to an undergraduate resident assistant and others to a hall director. This is a part time position; however, some situations may require a more extensive time commitment. Specific duties are described below.
Take on-call weeknight and weekend duty on a rotating schedule (approximately one week night per week and 3-4 weekends per semester). Coverage includes holidays, except for winter break, but including Week One. Monitor and report the physical condition of the residence hall.
Act as first responder to emergencies in Gewirz or involving Gewirz residents. Intervene and/or assist security or medical personnel in emergencies.
Serve as one of the floor marshals in Gewirz as part of the Law Center Emergency Response Team.
- Advise or refer residents to appropriate offices for academic or personal counseling.
- Confront inappropriate behavior when necessary.
- Mediate resident conflicts and assist in apartment changes.
- Help residents adjust to living in an urban setting.
- Assist residents with questions about academic issues, preparation for finals, outlining, etc.
- Provide support and assistance during particularly stressful academic times
- Help residents through the transition to law school and Georgetown, in particular.
- Be approachable and available and willing to provide information or referral on a variety of issues. Hold floor meetings as necessary.
- Promote an atmosphere of mutual respect among the residents and concern for the physical environment.
- Serve as a role model for residents.
- Coordinate floor activities each semester to promote community development.
- Produce programs each semester, focusing on issues important to Gewirz residents.
- Assist in the design and implementation of the semester core programs. (Fall: Halloween Festival; Spring: Java Hut; Throughout Academic Year: Professionalism in Law School Series, Faculty Spotlight series)
- Assist and be present during the fall opening and the spring closing of the Gewirz Student Center.
- Provide staff support during orientation.
- Complete apartment inventories and desk hours, as necessary.
- Attend weekly staff meetings.
- Attend weekly individual meetings with the Assistant Director of Residence Life and Student Programs.
- Support the mission of the Office of Residence Life.
- Other duties as assigned;
- Participate in fall staff training one week before fall orientation (August)
- Participate in a winter retreat during Week One (January).
- Must be 2nd, 3rd or 4th year student in the Juris Doctor program, or in an LL.M program during entire 2017-2018 academic year.
- Must have at least a 3.0 grade point average at the end of the academic year prior to employment.
- Previous student-related and/or residential life experience preferred.
*No conflicting responsibilities or activities totaling more than 15 hr/week. Most fellowships (i.e. – Law Fellow) and some clinics require a work schedule not conducive to the requirements of being a Resident Fellow.
A single efficiency apartment in the Gewirz Student Center; utilities included. Value of housing benefit is approximately $17,990 (based on 2016-2017 housing rates).
One-year appointment (Renewal of employment subject to re-application and interview process)
Apply to be a Resident Fellow
The 2017-2018 Resident Fellow Application will be available on this site in January 2017.