Resident Fellow Application
Resident Fellows (RFs) assist and advise students residing in the Gewirz Student Center. RFs serve a hybrid role with some responsibilities being similar to an undergraduate resident assistant and others to a hall director. This is a part time position; however, some situations may require a more extensive time commitment. Specific duties are described below.
Resident Fellows complete weeknight and weekend on-call duty on a rotating schedule. While on duty, RFs are expected to monitor and report the physical condition of the residence hall, act as a first responder to emergencies, and intervene and/or assist security or medical personnel in emergencies.
Based on expected staffing levels, Residents Fellows will be expected to complete approximately one regular night per week and 3-4 weekends per semester. Emergency on-call coverage includes holidays and the Week One, but excludes the winter holiday (December 17 –January 6, 2018).
Resident Fellows also serve as fire emergency floor marshals in the Gewirz Student Center and may participate in ad hoc Law Center Emergency Response Teams as needed.
- Advise or refer residents to appropriate offices for academic or personal counseling.
- Confront inappropriate behavior when necessary.
- Help resolve resident conflicts.
- Help residents adjust to living in an urban setting.
- Help residents through the transition to the Georgetown Law Center's unique academic environment.
- Assist residents with questions about academic issues.
- Provide support and assistance during particularly stressful academic times.
- Be approachable, available, and willing to provide information or referral on a variety of issues.
- Hold initial floor meetings and follow up as needed.
- Promote an atmosphere of mutual respect among the residents and concern for the physical environment.
- Serve as a role model for residents.
- Organize programs each semester to address the following themes:
- Faculty Spotlight
- Local Environment
- Social Justice
- Purpose in Law School
- Assist in the design and implementation of major Residence Life events including Fall Welcome Week, the spring Java Hut showcase, and semesterly Stress Free Zone programs during exam periods.
- Assist during the fall opening and the spring closing of the Gewirz Student Center.
- Provide staff support during orientation and Fall Welcome Week.
- Complete apartment inventories and desk hours, as necessary.
- Attend regular staff meetings and individual supervisory meetings.
Other duties as assigned.
- Participate in fall staff training one week before fall new student orientation (August).
- Participate in a winter retreat during the spring semester (often scheduled during Week One).
- Full time student status through the entire 2017-2018 academic year
- Enrollment in one or more of the following programs:
- Juris Doctor (excluding first-year students)
- Master of Laws (excluding Executive LLM students)
- Doctor of Juridical Science
- A cumulative Law School Grade Point Average of at least 3.0 at the conclusion of the academic year prior to employment
- No conflicting time commitments or other responsibilities totaling more than 15 hours/week or otherwise setting a time schedule that is not conducive to completing assigned responsibilities.
- Previous student-related and/or residential life experience preferred
A single efficiency apartment in the Gewirz Student Center; utilities included. Value of housing benefit is approximately $17,990 (based on 2016-2017 housing rates).
One-year appointment (Renewal of employment subject to re-application and interview process)
Apply to be a Resident Fellow
The 2017-2018 Resident Fellow Application will be available on this site in January 2017.