J.D. Spring 2018 1L Electives
What is the Spring 1L Elective?
Each Spring, full-time students in Curriculum A (i.e., Sections 1, 2, 4 and 5), take a 3-credit elective. We offer the Spring 1L electives to introduce other sources of law and legal thinking into the traditional, common-law based first-year curriculum. These other sources of law are statues and regulations, or treaties, conventions and customary law. The choices next semester range from three courses in the regulatory/statutory field to three in the international, comparative law field. The leg/reg electives are designed to introduce students to the inter-relationship of administrative agencies, legislatures, and courts and how they make “law.” The three options in the international and comparative law field are designed to help students develop an understanding of what international law is, its sources, nature, and operation and its relationship to US domestic law. We have listed the electives below. For individual course descriptions, faculty profiles, or syllabi, click on the links below.
The electives all meet on Mondays and Wednesdays, 11:10 a.m. - 12:35 p.m. To register, you must submit a form ranking your preferences. To assist you in your decision-making, we will hold an info session at which each faculty member teaching an elective will describe their course further. The faculty panel will be held on Wednesday, October 25, 4-5 pm in McDonough 201.
NOTE that if you do not submit a form, you will be enrolled in whichever course has an available seat.
Spring 2018 First-Year Electives
- Professor Philomila Tsoukala
- LAWJ-1391-50, CRN 31250
- LAWJ-235-50, CRN 10407
- LAWJ-1323-50, CRN 29406
- LAWJ-023-50, CRN 32453
- LAWJ-1326-50, CRN 32452
- LAWJ-1035-50, CRN 21989
- If you have trouble accessing the form, please contact the Office of the Registrar at 202-662-9220 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- There is no advantage to submitting early. There is no advantage to selecting the same section more than one time.
- If you change your mind before the due date, simply submit a new form. Only your most recent form will be processed. After the due date, you will not be able to change your rankings.
- Registration results will be available in MyAccess by 3:00pm on Wednesday, November 8, 2017. If you wish, you will be able to join a waitlist for another course, by emailing email@example.com.