Georgetown Law will open at 11:00 am on Tuesday, December 10, 2013, with liberal leave in effect. The Law Library will open at its regular hour. All in-class exams scheduled to begin at 9:00 am will begin at 1:30 pm.
PLEASE CHECK BACK FOR AN UPDATE AT 9:00 AM, Tuesday, December 10th, for any changes to the Law Center's operating status resulting from changes in the weather.
All designated emergency employees must report to work on time. All other employees are expected to report to work by 11:00 am. Employees may take unscheduled leave, but should contact their supervisor to discuss the needs of their unit and individual circumstances.
Special events and programs scheduled to start before 11:00 am will be delayed and may be cancelled. Please check with your program planner to determine status.
Civil Rights/Civil Liberties
Civil rights and civil liberties lawyers work in areas of the law that typically fall under the first amendment right to free expression, assembly, and religion (civil liberties), and under fourteenth amendment equal protection (civil rights). Civil rights lawyers share a commitment to creating a just society through legal means. To this end, they work on a variety of issues from lobbying for civil rights recognition in the judiciary to litigation-based civil rights advocacy. Civil rights lawyers work for domestic and international non-profit organizations, federal, state, local and international government agencies and public interest law firms with specialty civil rights practices.
- Harvard Specialty Guide: Careers in Civil Rights and Liberties: extensive information on civil rights career paths, along with personal narratives.
- HG.org: Civil Rights: provides a basic overview of the practice area as well as useful links to educational resources and selected employers.
- The Leadership Conference on Civil Rights and Human Rights – Civil Rights Career Center: lists internships and positions at civil rights organizations throughout the U.S.
- The Advancement Project
- NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund
- The Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, DC
- U.S. Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division
- Harvard Private Public Interest and Plaintiff's Firm Guide, 2013 – extensive listing of private civil rights (and other practice areas) law firms throughout the U.S.