Have you considered a smaller market? Well, you should and here is why:
1) Cost of living is lower in smaller markets. Check out this cost of living calculator to find out more: http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/.
2) Partnership track is fewer years in a smaller market than in a larger market. The partnership track at Balch & Bingham in Birmingham is seven years compared to the track at some New York firms which is upwards of 10 years.
3) You can find vibrant social scenes in small markets, too. Charlotte, NC is home is home to three major professional sports franchises: the Carolina Panthers of the National Football league (NFL), the Charlotte Bobcats of the National Basketball Association (NBA), and the Charlotte Hounds of Major League Lacrosse (MLL).
4) The hours are better. The reported billable hours for an associate at one firm in Kansas City, MO was 1,795. We checked the reported billable hours at three New York firms and none of the firms provided information.
5) You get better work earlier in your career. Multiple alumni from smaller markets have reported taking depositions, drafting primary documents, and meeting with clients within their first year of practice.
If you are convinced that a smaller market is for you, don’t wait - act now! There are multiple hot job listings on Hoya Headlines and Symplicity for firms in smaller markets. Don’t let this opportunity pass you by!