AARP LCE Seeks Pro Bono Help
For 35 years, AARP LCE has championed the dignity and rights of Washington, D.C.'s elderly by providing free legal and social work services to those in need — empowering, defending and protecting vulnerable seniors. LCE's staff and volunteers assist more than 5,000 elders each year, with monetary benefits totaling over $5 million. More than ninety percent of older neighbors receiving help from LCE are persons of color, and three quarters are low-income women. AARP is located within walking distance from Georgetown Law, at 601 E Street NW.
AARP LCE is seeking student volunteers/interns for the following positions:
- LCE Ombudsman Program (1 student needed; 5-10 hours/week)
- Assist with collecting and reviewing DC nursing home contracts to determine how many contracts have arbitration clauses and/or clauses regarding Medicaid and Medicare payments.
- Assist with compiling a legal resource manual for advocates in long-term care facilities as well as home health care.
- Schedule H Project (1-2 students; 5-10 hours/week)
- Screen clients for eligibility for tax credits for low-income individuals
- Meet with clients to help them fill out tax forms to obtain their tax credits and follow up to ensure that tax credits are received.
How do I sign up? Students interested in the Ombudsman Program should contact Mary Ann Parker at MAParker@aarp.org. Students interested in the Schedule H Project should contact Rochelle Bobroff at email@example.com.