The Top 10 Corporate and Securities Articles of
The Corporate Practice Commentator is pleased to announce the results
of its annual poll of the 10 best corporate and securities articles.
(Because of ties there are 13 on this year’s list.) Teachers in corporate
and securities law were asked to select the best corporate and securities
articles from a list of articles published during 2000. Because of
the vagaries of publication, indexing and mailing some articles published
in 2000 have a 1999 date and not all articles containing a 2000 date were
published in time to be included in this year’s list.
The articles, listed in alphabetical order of the initial author, are:
- Bratton, William W. and Joseph A. McCahery. Comparative
Corporate Governance and the Theory of the Firm: The Case Against
Global Cross Reference. 38 Colum. J. Transnat’l L. 213-297 (1999).
- Coates, John C. IV. Empirical Evidence on Structural Takeover
Defenses: Where Do We Stand? 54 U. Miami L. Rev. 783-797 (2000).
- Coffee, John C., Jr. Privatization and Corporate Governance:
The Lessons from Securities Market Failure. 25 J. Corp. L. 1-39 (1999).
- Fisch, Jill E. The Peculiar Role of the Delaware Courts in
the Competition for Corporate Charters. 68 U. Cin. L. Rev. 1061-1100
- Fox, Merritt B. Retained Mandatory Securities Disclosure:
Why Issuer Choice Is Not Investor Empowerment. 85 Va. L. Rev. 1335-1419
- Fried, Jesse M. Insider Signaling and Insider Trading with
Repurchase Tender Offers. 67 U. Chi. L. Rev. 421-477 (2000).
- Gulati, G. Mitu, William A. Klein and Eric M. Zolt.
Connected Contracts. 47 UCLA L. Rev. 887-948 (2000).
- Hu, Henry T.C. Faith and Magic: Investor Beliefs and
Government Neutrality. 78 Tex. L. Rev. 777-884 (2000).
- Moll, Douglas K. Shareholder Oppression in Close Corporations:
The Unanswered Question of Perspective. 53 Vand. L. Rev. 749-827 (2000).
- Schizer, David M. Executives and Hedging: The Fragile
Legal Foundation of Incentive Compatibility. 100 Colum. L. Rev. 440-504
- Smith, Thomas A. The Efficient Norm for Corporate Law:
A Neotraditional Interpretation of Fiduciary Duty. 98 Mich. L. Rev.
- Thomas, Randall S. and Kenneth J. Martin. The Determinants
of Shareholder Voting on Stock Option Plans. 35 Wake Forest L. Rev.
The "Best Articles" were chosen from more than 250 corporate and securities
articles published during the year. Twenty-five law professors participated
in this year’s selection.
- Thompson, Robert B. Preemption and Federalism in Corporate
Governance: Protecting Shareholder Rights to Vote, Sell, and Sue.
62 Law & Contemp. Probs. 215-242 (1999).
Best Articles 2002
Best Articles 2001
Best Articles 1999
Best Articles 1998
Best Articles 1997
Best Articles 1996
Best Articles 1995
Best Articles 1994
Last updated: 5/25/03