Selected Bibliography of Recent Major Works and Continuing Sources of Information
Privacy Risks and Public Benefits of Big Data
- Charu C. Aggarwal & Philip S. Yu, Privacy-Preserving Data Mining: Models and Algorithms (New York: Springer Science+Business Media, 2008).
- David Bollier, The Promise and Peril of Big Data (Washington, DC: Aspen Institute, 2010).
- Terence Craig & Mary E. Ludloff, Privacy and Big Data (Sebastopol, CA: O'Reilly Media, 2011).
- Kord Davis, The Ethics of Big Data: Balancing Risk and Innovation (Sebastopol, CA: O'Reilly Media, 2012).
- Serge Gutwirth, European Data Protection: In Good Health? (Dordrecht, Neth.: Springer Science+Business Media, 2012).
Articles, Working Papers, and Reports
- Josh Blackman, Omniveillance, Google, Privacy in Public, and the Right to Your Digital Identity: A Tort for Recording and Disseminating an Individual's Image over the Internet, 49 Santa Clara L. Rev. 313 (2008), available at http://ssrn.com/abstract=1116776.
- Daniel B. Garrie et al.,Data Protection: The Challenges Facing Social Networking, 6 Int'l L. & Mgmt. Rev. 127 (2010), available at http://www.law2.byu.edu/ilmr/articles/spring_2010/BYU_ILMR_spring_2010_5_Data%20Protection.Social%20Networking.pdf.
- Johannes Gehrke, Quo Vadis, Data Privacy?, Annals N.Y. Acad. Sci., July 2012, at 45, available at http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1749-6632.2012.06630.x/abstract.
- Joseph Janes, Data, Data Everywhere: As the Big Data Beast Fattens, Will Privacy and Ethics Get Gobbled Up?, Am. Libraries, May 2012, at 42, available at http://americanlibrariesmagazine.org/columns/internet-librarian/data-data-everywhere.
- Christopher Kuner et al., The Challenge of "Big Data" for Data Protection, 2 Int'l Data Privacy L. 47 (2012), available at http://idpl.oxfordjournals.org/content/2/2/47.
- James Manyika et al., McKinsey Global Institute, Big Data: The Next Frontier for Innovation, Competition, and Productivity (2011), available at http://www.mckinsey.com/insights/mgi/research/technology_and_innovation/big_data_the_next_frontier_for_innovation.
- Paul Ohm, Branding Privacy, 97 Minn. L. Rev. (forthcoming 2013), draft available at http://www.stanford.edu/dept/law/ipsc/Paper%20PDF/Ohm,%20Paul%20-%20Paper.pdf.
- Paul Ohm, Broken Promises of Privacy: Responding to the Surprising Failure of Anonymization, 57 UCLA L. Rev. 1701 (2010), available at http://www.uclalawreview.org/pdf/57-6-3.pdf.
- Ira S. Rubinstein, Big Data: The End of Privacy or a New Beginning? (N.Y.U. Public Law & Legal Theory
Working Papers, Paper No. 357, 2012), available at http://lsr.nellco.org/nyu_plltwp/357.
- Paul M. Schwartz & Daniel J. Solove, The PII Problem: Privacy and a New Concept of Personally Identifiable Information, 86 N.Y.U. L. Rev. 1814 (2011), available at http://www.law.nyu.edu/journals/lawreview/issues/vol862011/number6/ECM_PRO_071240.
- Tom Simonite, What Facebook Knows, MIT Technology Review, July/Aug. 2012 at 44, available at http://www.technologyreview.com/featured-story/428150/what-facebook-knows.
- Omer Tene & Jules Polonetsky, Privacy in the Age of Big Data: A Time for Big Decisions, 64 Stan. L. Rev. Online 63 (2012), http://www.stanfordlawreview.org/online/privacy-paradox/big-data.
- Maria Tzanou, The EU as an Emerging "Surveillance Society": The Function Creep Case Study and Challenges to Privacy and Data Protection, 4 Vienna J. Int'l Const. L. 407 (2010), http://www.internationalconstitutionallaw.net/download/d449cfc0d738b2b6f73e91cecd714fef/Tzanou.pdf.
- The White House, Consumer Data Privacy in a Networked World: A Framework for Protecting Privacy and Promoting Innovation in the Global Digital Economy (Feb. 2012), available at http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/privacy-final.pdf (Commonly called "Consumer Data Privacy Bill of Rights." For analysis, see Crystal Mao, Obama's Consumer Data Privacy Bill of Rights: Effective Self-Regulation, or White House-Endorsed Loopholes?, Colum. Bus. L. Rev. Online (Mar. 28, 2012), http://cblr.columbia.edu/archives/12047 and Daren M. Orzechowski, Ashley Winton & Imtiaz Yakub, The White House Introduces a Consumer Data Privacy Bill of Rights, White & Case Tech. Newsflash (Mar. 1, 2012), http://www.whitecase.com/articles-03012012.).
- James Q. Whitman, The Two Western Cultures of Privacy: Dignity Versus Liberty, 113 Yale L.J. 1151 (2004), available at http://www.yalelawjournal.org/pdf/113-6/WhitmanFINAL.pdf.
News, Blogs, and Online Resources
- Alistair Croll, Big Data Is Our Generation's Civil Rights Issue, and We Don't Know It: What the Data Is Must Be Linked to How It Can Be Used, O'Reilly Radar (Aug. 2, 2012), http://radar.oreilly.com/2012/08/big-data-is-our-generations-civil-rights-issue-and-we-dont-know-it.html.
- Charles Duhigg, How Companies Learn Your Secrets, N.Y. Times, Feb. 19, 2012, http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/magazine/shopping-habits.html.
- E-Reader Privacy Chart, 2012 Edition, Electronic Frontier Foundation, https://www.eff.org/pages/reader-privacy-chart-2012.
- James Grimmelmann, Death of a Data Haven: Cypherpunks, WikiLeaks, and the World's Smallest Nation, Ars Technica (Mar. 27, 2012), http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/03/sealand-and-havenco.
- Quentin Hardy, Rethinking Privacy in an Era of Big Data, N.Y. Times Bits Blog (June4, 2012), http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/04/rethinking-privacy-in-an-era-of-big-data.
- Steve Lohr, The Age of Big Data, N.Y. Times, Feb. 12, 2012, at SR1, available at http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/12/sunday-review/big-datas-impact-in-the-world.html.
- Steve Lohr, Big Data Gets Its Own Photo Album, N.Y. Times Bits Blog (Sept. 13, 2012), http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/13/big-data-gets-its-own-photo-album.
- Steve Lohr, A Big Data Road Map for Government, N.Y. Times Bits Blog (Oct. 3, 2012), http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/03/a-big-data-road-map-for-government.
- Steve Lohr, How Big Data Became So Big, N.Y. Times, Aug. 11, 2012, at BU3, available at http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/12/business/how-big-data-became-so-big-unboxed.html.
- Steve Lohr, Putting a Face on the World Of Big Data, N.Y. Times, Sept. 17, 2012, at B4, available at http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=980CE3DC1731F934A2575AC0A9649D8B63.
- John Markoff, Troves of Personal Data, Forbidden to Researchers, N.Y. Times, May 21, 2012, at D1, available at http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/22/science/big-data-troves-stay-forbidden-to-social-scientists.html.
- Natasha Singer, Data Privacy, Put to the Test, N.Y. Times, Apr. 30, 2011, at BU3, available at http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/01/business/01stream.html.
Big Data Applications in Scholarship and Policy: Books, Articles and Online Resources
Data Management, Analysis, and Forecasting
- Margaret O'Neill Adams, Analyzing Archives and Finding Facts: Use and Users of Digital Data Records, 7 Archival Sci. 21 (2007), available at http://www.springerlink.com/content/tu8q80n417370301.
- Josh Blackman, Adam Aft & Corey Carpenter, FantasySCOTUS: Crowdsourcing a Prediction Market for the Supreme Court, 10 Nw. J. Tech. & Intell. Prop. 125 (2012), available at http://scholarlycommons.law.northwestern.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1160&context=njtip.
- Josh Blackman, Adam Aft & Corey Carpenter, Polling the Health Care Cases (working paper, July 16, 2012), available at http://ssrn.com/abstract=2108556.
- Big Data's Mass Appeal: A Special Report, Chronicle of Higher Education, http://chronicle.com/section/Big-Data/446.
- Dataverse Network Project, Institute for Quantitative Social Science, Harvard University, http://thedata.org.
- Vasant Dhar III, Data Science and Prediction (N.Y.U. Stern School of Business Working Paper CeDER-12-01, 2012), available at http://hdl.handle.net/2451/31553.
- Renee Boucher Ferguson, The Storage and Transfer Challenges of Big Data, MIT Sloan Mgmt. Rev., Summer 2012, at 1, available at http://sloanreview.mit.edu/feature/the-storage-and-transfer-challenges-of-big-data.
- Scott A. Hale & Helen Zerlina Margetts, Understanding the Mechanics of Online Collective Action Using "Big Data" (working paper, Mar. 22, 2012), available at http://ssrn.com/abstract=2041856.
- Daniel Martin Katz, Quantitative Legal Prediction (Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Embrace Disruptive Technology), Presentation at LegalTech New York 2012 (Feb. 1, 2012) (slides available athttp://www.slideshare.net/Danielkatz/quantitative-legal-prediction-legal-tech-2012-professor-daniel-martin-katz).
- ReInvent Law: A Law Laboratory Devoted to Innovation, Technology & Entrepreneurship, http://reinventlaw.com/Lab/ReInvent.html.
Economics and Business
- Levon Barseghyan, Francesca Molinari, Darcy Steeg Morris & Joshua C. Teitelbaum, Unlucky or Risky? Unobserved Heterogeneity and Experience Rating in Insurance Markets (Georgetown Business, Economics and Regulatory Law Research Paper No. 12-040, 2012), available at http://scholarship.law.georgetown.edu/facpub/1127.
- Levon Barseghyan, Jeffrey Prince & Joshua C. Teitelbaum, Are Risk Preferences Stable Across Contexts? Evidence from Insurance Data, 101 Am. Econ. Rev. 591 (2011), available at http://ssrn.com/abstract=1220663.
- Bjorn Bloching, Lars Luck & Thomas Ramge, In Data We Trust: How Customer Data is Revolutionizing Our Economy (London: Bloomsbury Publishing, 2012).
- Julie Brill, Commissioner, Federal Trade Commission, Big Data, Big Issues, Address at Fordham Univ. School of Law (Mar. 2, 2012), available at http://www.ftc.gov/speeches/brill/120228fordhamlawschool.pdf.
- Brad Brown, Michael Chui & James Manyika, Are You Ready for the Era of "Big Data"?, McKinsey Quarterly, Oct. 2011, at 24, available at http://www.mckinseyquarterly.com/Strategy/Innovation/Are_you_ready_for_the_era_of_big_data_2864.
- Paul R. Carlile & Clayton M. Christensen, The Cycles of Theory Building in Management Research (Harvard Business School Working Papers, Paper No. 05-057, 2005), available at http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/5422.html.
- Michael Chui & Frank Comes, Competing Through Data: Three Experts Offer their Game Plans, McKinsey Quarterly, Oct. 2011, at 36, available at http://www.mckinseyquarterly.com/Marketing/Digital_Marketing/Competing_through_data_Three_experts_offer_their_game_plans_2868.
- Thomas H. Davenport & D.J. Patil, Data Scientist: The Sexiest Job of the 21st Century, Harv. Bus. Rev., Oct. 2012, available at http://hbr.org/2012/10/data-scientist-the-sexiest-job-of-the-21st-century.
- Billions and Billions: Big Data Becomes a Big Deal, Deloitte TMT Predictions 2012, http://www.deloitte.com/view/en_GX/global/industries/technology-media-telecommunications/tmt-predictions-2012/technology/70763e14447a4310VgnVCM1000001a56f00aRCRD.htm.
- Kenneth Cukier, Data, Data Everywhere: A Special Report on Managing Information, The Economist, Feb. 27, 2010, available at http://www.scribd.com/doc/51361281/A-Special-Report-on-Managing-Information and at http://www.economist.com/node/15557443.
- John Ginovsky, "Big Data" at the Bank, ABA Banking J., Mar 2012, at 28, available at http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/sb/ababj0312/index.php#/30.
- Big Data: Beyond the Hype, Harvard Business Review, HBR Insight Center, http://hbr.org/special-collections/insight/big-data.
- Steven B. Levy, Some Thoughts on the Data Driven Law Practice, Lexician Blog (Jan. 7, 2013), http://lexician.com/lexblog/2013/01/some-thoughts-on-the-data-driven-law-practice.
- Andrew McAfee & Erik Brynjolfsson, Big Data: The Management Revolution, Harv. Bus. Rev., Oct. 2012, at 60, available at http://hbr.org/2012/10/big-data-the-management-revolution.
- Gil Press, Big Data News of the Week: Beautiful $300,000 Minds, Forbes (Dec. 1, 2012), http://www.forbes.com/sites/gilpress/2012/12/01/big-data-news-of-the-week-beautiful-300000-minds.
- Shvetank Shah, Andrew Horne & Jaime Capellá, Good Data Won't Guarantee Good Decisions, Harv. Bus. Rev., Apr. 2012, at 23, available at http://hbr.org/2012/04/good-data-wont-guarantee-good-decisions.
- Jared Wade, How the Insurance Industry Is Using Big Data to Better Define Risk Appetite, Risk Mgmt., May 2012, at 24, available at http://www.rmmag.org/Magazine/PrintTemplate.cfm?AID=4536.
Environment, Energy, and Natural Sciences
- Holly Doremus, Data Gaps in Natural Resource Management: Sniffing for Leaks Along the Information Pipeline, 83 Ind. L.J. 407 (2008), available at http://www.repository.law.indiana.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1203&context=ilj.
- H. Russell Frisby, Jr. & Jonathan P. Trotta, The Smart Grid: The Complexities and Importance of Data Privacy and Security, 19 CommLaw Conspectus 297 (2011), available at http://commlaw.cua.edu/res/docs/05-v19-2-Frisby-Final.pdf (discusses both green energy solutions and threats to consumer privacy).
- Michael Nielsen, A Guide to the Day of Big Data, Nature, Dec. 10, 2009, at 722, available at http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v462/n7274/full/462722a.html.
- Eric E. Schadt, The Changing Privacy Landscape in the Era of Big Data, 8 Molecular Sys. Biology 612 (2012), available at http://www.nature.com/msb/journal/v8/n1/full/msb201247.html.
- Fred H. Cate, Protecting Privacy in Health Research: The Limits of Individual Choice, 98 Cal. L. Rev. 1765 (2010), available at http://www.californialawreview.org/assets/pdfs/98-6/Cate.FINAL.pdf.
- Bill B. Fox, Using Big Data for Big Impact: How Predictive Modeling Can Affect Patient Outcomes, 33 Health Mgmt. Tech. 32 (2012), available at http://www.healthmgttech.com/articles/201201/using-big-data-for-big-impact.php.
- Quentin Hardy, Big Data in Your Blood, N.Y. Times Bits Blog (Sept. 7, 2012), http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/07/big-data-in-your-blood.
- Sharona Hoffman & Andy Podgurskia, Balancing Privacy, Autonomy, and Scientific Needs in Electronic Health Records Research, 65 SMU L. Rev. 85 (2012), available at http://ssrn.com/abstract=1923187.
- Michelle M. Mello & Kathryn Zeiler, Empirical Health Law Scholarship: The State of the Field, 96 Geo. L.J. 649 (2008), available at http://scholarship.law.georgetown.edu/facpub/388.
- Rebecca Anhang Price, Janice C. Blanchard, Racine Harris, Teague Ruder & Carole Roan Gresenz, RAND Tech. Rep. No. TR-1296, Monitoring Cancer Outcomes Across the Continuum: Data Synthesis and Analysis for the District of Columbia (2012), available at http://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/technical_reports/2012/RAND_TR1296.pdf.
- The Power and Potential of Personal Health Records, Annotated Bibliography, Chapter 6: Privacy and Personal Health Records, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation(Nov. 15, 2009), http://www.rwjf.org/en/research-publications/find-rwjf-research/2010/01/feature-the-power-and-potential-of-personal-health-records/annotated-bibliography.html#chaptersix.
- Nicolas Terry, Protecting Patient Privacy in the Age of Big Data (working paper, Sept. 27, 2012), available at http://ssrn.com/abstract=2153269.
- Health Information Security and Privacy Collaboration Toolkit, U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Services, http://healthit.ahrq.gov/portal/server.pt/community/health_it_tools_and_resources/919/the_health_information_security_and_privacy_collaboration_toolkit/27877.
International and Comparative Assessments
- Thorsten Beck, Asli Demirguc-Kunt & Ross Levine, Law and Finance: Why Does Legal Origin Matter? (NBER Working Paper Series, Paper No. 9379, 2002), available at http://www.nber.org/papers/w9379.pdf.
- Michael Bernstein, Blurry in Germany, OntheMedia.org (Aug. 12, 2011), http://www.onthemedia.org/2011/aug/12/blurry-germany (A podcast about privacy concerns over Google Street View in Germany and Europe, with contrasts to American concepts of privacy. Note that Google Street View currently blurs several types of sensitive images, including humans; see http://maps.google.com/help/maps/streetview/privacy.html.).
- Simon Deakin & Katharina Pistor eds., Legal Origin Theory (Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar Pub., 2012).
- Graham Greenleaf, Global Data Privacy Laws: 89 Countries, and Accelerating, Privacy L. & Bus. Int'l Rep., Feb. 2012,available at http://ssrn.com/abstract=2000034.
- Graham Greenleaf, The Influence of European Data Privacy Standards Outside Europe: Implications for Globalization of Convention 108, 2 Int'l Data Privacy L. 68 (2012), available at http://ssrn.com/abstract=1960299.
- François LeSieur, Regulating Cross-Border Data Flows and Privacy in the Networked Digital Environment and Global Knowledge Economy, 2 Int'l Data Privacy L. 93 (2012), available at http://idpl.oxfordjournals.org/content/2/2/93.
- World Economic Forum, Big Data, Big Impact: New Possibilities for International Development (2012), available athttp://www.weforum.org/reports/big-data-big-impact-new-possibilities-international-development.
National Security and Criminal Law
- Laura Donohue, Technological Leap, Statutory Gap, and Constitutional Abyss: Remote Biometric Identification Comes of Age, 97 Minn. L. Rev. (forthcoming 2012), available at http://ssrn.com/abstract=2137838.
- Ryan J. Foley, Two Terabytes Too Much Evidence for DEA, Law Tech. News, Aug. 21, 2012, http://www.law.com/jsp/lawtechnologynews/PubArticleLTN.jsp?id=1202568309705&thepage=1
- Joshua Gruenspecht, "Reasonable" Grand Jury Subpoenas: Asking for Information in the Age of Big Data, 24 Harv. J.L. & Tech. 543 (2011), available at http://jolt.law.harvard.edu/articles/pdf/v24/24HarvJLTech543.pdf.
- Paul Ohm, The Fourth Amendment in a World Without Privacy, 81 Miss. L.J. 1309 (2012), available at http://mississippilawjournal.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/16-Ohm_FINAL.pdf.
- Stephanie K. Pell & Christopher Soghoian, Can You See Me Now? Toward Reasonable Standards for Law Enforcement Access to Location Data That Congress Could Enact, 27 Berkeley Tech. L.J. 117 (2012), available at http://www.btlj.org/data/articles/27_1/0117-0196_Pell_042012%20WEB.pdf.
- Charles Goulding, Jacob Goldman & Cassandra Gengler, The Tax Aspects of Cloud Computing and Data Centers, Corp. Bus. Tax'n Monthly, Dec. 2010,at 13, available at http://www.cchgroup.com/opencms/opencms/web/TAA/PDFs/focus-on-tax-newsletter/CBTM_12-10_Goulding-Goldman.pdf.
- Tam Harbert, IRS Implements Analytics for Compliance, Fraud Detection and Workforce Management, Data Informed (Sept. 19, 2012), http://data-informed.com/irs-implements-analytics-for-compliance-fraud-detection-and-workforce-management/?goback=.gde_62438_member_170013524.
- Tax Statistics, Internal Revenue Service, http://www.irs.gov/uac/Tax-Stats-2.
- Wyatt Kash, How IRS' New Tool to Thwart Tax Cheats Also Helps FEMA Respond Faster, AOL Daily Finance (Oct. 24, 2012), http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/10/24/irs-tax-cheats-fema-emergency-analytics.
- Bob Sullivan, Big Brother Meets Big Data: Governments Start Scrutinizing Credit Card Records, NBC News, Red Tape Chronicles Blog (Oct. 19, 2012), http://redtape.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/19/14541431-big-brother-meets-big-data-governments-start-scrutinizing-credit-card-records.
- Shamik Trivedi, Increased Microdata Accessibility Will Aid Policymakers, 134 Tax Notes 931 (Feb. 21, 2012), available at http://www7.gsb.columbia.edu/richman/sites/default/files/files/Tax%20notes%202_2012-3.pdf.
- Edd Dumbill, Five Big Data Predictions for 2012, O'Reilly Strata: Making Data Work, Dec. 14, 2011, http://strata.oreilly.com/2011/12/5-big-data-predictions-2012.html.
- James Glanz, Data Barns in a Farm Town, Gobbling Power and Flexing Muscle, N.Y. Times, Sept. 24, 2012 at A1, available at www.nytimes.com/2012/09/24/technology/data-centers-in-rural-washington-state-gobble-power.html.
- Steve Lohr, Supercomputing for Small Players, N.Y. Times, Apr. 23, 2012, at B6, available at http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9903E2D81E30F930A15757C0A9649D8B63.
- Steve Lohr, Tech's New Wave, Driven by Data, N.Y. Times, Sept. 9, 2012, at BU4, available at http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/09/technology/data-driven-discovery-is-techs-new-wave-unboxed.html.
- Jason Miller, White House to Mandate Machine-Readable Open Data, FederalNewsRadio.com (Jan. 7, 2013), http://www.federalnewsradio.com/519/3182982/White-House-to-mandate-machine-readable-open-data.
- Chad Wellman, Why Google Isn't Making Us Stupid… or Smart, Hedgehog Review, Spring 2012, at 66, available at http://www.iasc-culture.org/THR/archives/Spring2012/Wellmon_lo.pdf.
Online Resources for Data Visualization and Related Statistics
- ChartsBin, http://chartsbin.com/about (a "data visualization tool that will allow everyone to quickly and easily create rich interactive visualizations with their own data").
- Kay Tan, 20+ Tools to Create Your Own Infographics, Hongkiat.com, http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/infographic-tools.
UN Data Explorer, United Nations Statistics Division, http://data.un.org/Explorer.aspx?d=SNA.
- United States Census 2010, http://2010.census.gov/2010census.
- Big Data, Wikibon, http://wikibon.org/wiki/v/Big_Data (a "professional community solving technology and business problems through an open source sharing of free advisory knowledge").
- Big List of Big Data Infographics, Wikibon Blog (July 24, 2012), http://wikibon.org/blog/big-data-infographics.
- Wolfram|Alpha, http://www.wolframalpha.com/about.html (a "computational knowledge engine" that "does dynamic computations based on a vast collection of built-in data, algorithms, and methods").
- Data, The World Bank, http://data.worldbank.org.
- WJP Rule of Law Index, World Justice Project, http://worldjusticeproject.org/rule-of-law-index (a data visualization tool that provides "a detailed and comprehensive picture of the extent to which countries adhere to the rule of law").
- Marcus P. Zillman, Statistics Resources and Big Data on the Internet, LLRX.com (Oct. 7, 2012), http://www.llrx.com/features/statisticsdataresources.htm.