Highlights of Working at Georgetown University Law Library
The Georgetown University Law Library offers employees a collegial, diverse, and responsive work environment, ample opportunity for engagement, generous salaries and development support, and a dynamic setting for career progression. The five-story Williams law library was named in honor of distinguished Georgetown Law alumnus Edward Bennett Williams (Class of 1944). More than 1 million volumes and volume-equivalents in are available in print and electronic formats. The library has over 1,000 seats available, and in the last five years has averaged over 481,000 patron visits and 20,000 reference transactions annually.
We are guided by Law Library's mission statement: The mission of the library is to support fully the research and educational endeavors of the students and faculty of the Georgetown University Law Center, by collecting, organizing, preserving, and disseminating legal and law related information in any form, by providing effective service and instructional programs, and by utilizing electronic information systems to provide access to new information products and services.
Statement of Values
The library strives to adhere to the following values:We value:
- a commitment to service to our customers, both internal and external.
- excellence in all that we do.
- innovation and creativity along with an ability to initiate and embrace positive change.
- a commitment to the Georgetown Law Center, the University, and to their respective teaching and research missions.
- responsible stewardship of library resources.
- integrity in all dealings and adherence to the laws and policies affecting the organization.
- diversity and respect for individuals.
- collegiality, collaboration, and respectful treatment of others.
- efforts to create a positive work environment both within the library and at the Law Center.
Benefits & Compensation
Georgetown University offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that comprises a valuable part of your total compensation including:
- Retirement plans include a defined contribution plan for all faculty, staff and academic employees working at least 20 hours or more per week and funded by employee and University contributions. Voluntary contribution retirement plans are also available.
- Medical and dental coverage through national insurance plans.
- Tuition benefits – Georgetown University provides 100% tuition benefits for employees for Georgetown courses after one continuous year of full-time service. After 3 years of continuous full time-service, tuition at other accredited colleges or universities is partially covered for employees in work-related classes or degree programs and/or for the employee’s dependents in degree programs.
- Compensation – The library pays its employees competitive salaries and the average salary for regular staff is above the median for library technicians in the region. Librarian salaries are in the top tier nationally.
The Georgetown University Law Library offers generous support for career and professional development, including:
- Memberships – fully paid memberships in professional associations for librarians and full or partial support for staff memberships.
- Conference support – release time and financial support for attendance at association conferences. Typical conferences include AALL Annual Meeting, Computers in Libraries, Innovative Users group meeting, ASIL Annual Meeting.
- Training programs – release time and full support for local training programs and as funds are available for those involving travel.
Our Law Center community values personal as well as professional development.
- You can strengthen your body at the on-campus Sport & Fitness Center.
- Soothe your mind and soul with activities through Faculty and Staff Assistance Program.
- Located on the University’s main campus, the Hoya Federal Credit Union staff makes monthly visits to the Law Center, and provides ATM machines at the Law Center.
- The campus Early Learning Center is accredited by NAEYC and serves toddlers through preschool aged children with both full-time and drop-in care Monday through Friday.
The campus is located in the heart of Washington, D.C. near Capitol Hill, the National Mall, and Smithsonian Museums, and is Metro accessible. Dining and entertainment can be found within walking distance:
- Union Station
- Verizon Center
- D.C. Convention Center
- Movie theaters:
Via Metro you can access:
- Shopping at Pentagon City, Va.
- Dining, movie theaters, and shopping in Dupont Circle, D.C.
- National Zoo, D.C.
- Dining, Arena Stage, night clubs at Southwest Water Front, D.C.
- Baseball at Nationals Park & Soccer at RFK Stadium , D.C.
- Georgetown University Law Library
- Georgetown University Law Center
- Georgetown University
- Working at Georgetown University
- Relocation resources for new employees of Georgetown University
111 G Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20001
202-662-9131 (Circulation Desk)
202-662-9140 (Reference Desk)
Georgetown University is an EOE/AA Employer.