This State Guide lists the major sources of law in Texas.
- Researching Texas Law, Brandon Quarles & Matthew Cordon, 2012. KFT1275 .Q37
- Texas Legal Research, Spencer L. Simons, 2009. KFT1275 .S56
- Texas Rules of Form, KFT 1275 .T4 2006 is intended as a supplement to the Bluebook's citation rules and focuses on Texas sources.
STATUTES & LEGISLATION
- Vernon's Texas Codes Annotated (VTCA), KFT1230.5.V4
- Vernon's Texas Revised Civil Statutes Annotated (VTRCSA), KFT1230.5.V4 A3
- Statutes that are currently in force are published in the VTCA or the VTRCSA.
- Note: Texas is reorganizing its statutes and moving from a unified code, the VTRCSA, to a subject-matter code, the VTCA. Currently, twenty-three of the eventual twenty-six subject-matter codes have been codified into the VTCA.
- Session Laws & Provisional Government Decrees: HeinOnline, 1824 -
- Guide to Researching Legislative History and Intent (Texas Legislative Reference Library)
- Legislative Reference Library of Texas
- Texas Legislative History (Research Guide from Southern Methodist University)
- Chapter 9 of Legal Research for the Texas Practitioner, by Brandon D. Quarles & Matthew C. Cordon, published by Hein, 2003. Reference Desk, KFT1275 .Q37 2003
REGULATIONS & AGENCIES
- Texas Administrative Code, (1979-2008, now cancelled; volumes older than 2008 are in historic core), KFT1235 1988 .A215 1988
- Office of the Governor
- Attorney General's Office (Includes opinions, 1939-), also available on HeinOnline
- Texas State Agencies
CASES & COURTS
- South Western Reporter (1st, 2nd & 3rd series), KF135 .S713 3d
- Texas Courts Online
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- Texas Bar Journal, K24 .E8
- State Bar
- Dallas Bar Association Legal Ethics Opinions (1972 -)
- Texas Professional Ethics Opinions (Supreme Court) (1966-2005)
- National Reporter on Legal Ethics and Prof. Responsibility - TX Opinions (Selected opinions from opinion #469 through present)
- Business & Non-Profit Forms (Secretary of State's Office)
- FindLaw: Texas
- Internet Law Library: Texas
- Law Library of Congress: Texas
- Local Bar Associations
- State Bar of Texas
- Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts (Includes tax forms)
- Texas Electronic Ethics Reporter (Includes ethics codes and opinions)
- Texas State Law Library
Updated 7/13 (MK)
© Georgetown University Law Library. These guides may be used for educational purposes, as long as proper credit is given. These guides may not be sold. Requests to republish or adapt a guide should be directed to the Head of Reference. Proper credit includes the statement: Written by, or adapted from, Georgetown Law Library (current as of .....).