This State Guide lists the major sources of law in Washington.
- Julie Heintz-Cho, et.al., Washington Legal Research, KFW75 .H45 2009
- Penny Hazelton, et. al., Washington Legal Researcher's Deskbook (3rd edition) KFW75.W37 2002
- Sources of Free Legal Information on Washington State Law
A guide to legal publications and research in published by the reference librarians at the Gallagher Law Library at the University of Washington School of Law (updated regularly).
STATUTES & LEGISLATION
- Session Laws: HeinOnline, 1854 -
- Legislative Documents (Full text of bills, bill histories initiatives, referenda, committee reports, digests, roll calls, daily bill status, and topical index)
- some information on bills available from 1991 to the present.
- for current and more recent legislative sessions, also gives access to Standing Committee Reports, Status Reports, and Senate and House Floor Activity Reports.
- Washington State Legislative History Research Guide, by the Gallagher Law Library at the University of Washington.
- Washington State Legislature
- Legislative Agencies
- Advisory Opinions and Complaint Dispositions (From the Legislative Ethics Board)
REGULATIONS, AGENCIES, INITIATIVES & REFERENDA
- Print: is no longer kept current in the library; last update is from 2007.
- Washington Administrative Code (WAC), KFW35 1980 .A23
- Westlaw: WA-ADC
- LexisNexis: Browse Sources > Narrow by Content Type - Administrative Codes & Regulations > Narrow by Jurisdiction - WA > WA - Washington Administrative Code
- Governor's Office (Full text of executive orders 1960 - )
- Agency, Board and Commission Listings
- Office of the Attorney General (Includes opinions, 1949 - )
Initiatives and Referenda
- Initiatives and referenda: current and historic (from the Secretary of State)
- Initiatives and referenda: current and historic (search topical index for initiatives) (Legislative)
CASES & COURTS
- LexisNexis: Browse Sources > Narrow by Content Type - Cases >
- Federal: Narrow by Jurisdiction - U.S. Federal > 9th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals Cases and 9th Circuit U.S. District Court Cases
- State: Narrow by Jurisdiction - WA > WA Court of Appeals Cases from 1969 and WA Supreme Court Cases from 1854
- Washington Supreme Court and Court of Appeals Opinions: all Supreme Court opinions from 1854 and Court of Appeals opinions from 1969; includes the Washington Reports: 1854-1889 Territory Reports and 1889-1939 Washington Reports (from LegalWA.org).
- Washington State Court Opinions: slip opinions from the last 90 days (from the Washington Courts)
- Washington Supreme Court and Court of Appeals Opinions: from Dec. 1998 (from Findlaw)
- Washington State Courts (Includes recent Supreme Court and Court of Appeals opinions and court rules)
- Commission on Judicial Conduct
STATE LAW REVIEWS & BAR JOURNALS
- Washington State Bar News (archives available on HeinOnline)
- Westlaw: Washington Law Reviews and Journals
- LexisNexis: Browse Sources > Narrow by Content Type - Secondary Materials > Narrow by Content Type - Law Reviews & Journals > Narrow by Jurisdiction - WA
- Print: Washington Practice (not available at GULL)
- Washington State Bar Association
- Washington State TVW (public affairs network covering state government deliberations and public policy events)
- Washington State Library
- Washington State Law Library
- King County Law Library
- Legal Information Institute on Washington
- Internet Law Library: Washington
- Washington State Tax Forms
- Law Library of Congress: Washington
- FindLaw: Washington
Links 7/14 (CPW)
© Georgetown University Law Library. These guides may be used for educational purposes, as long as proper credit is given. These guides may not be sold. Requests to republish or adapt a guide should be directed to the Head of Reference. Proper credit includes the statement: Written by, or adapted from, Georgetown Law Library (current as of .....).