Interlibrary Loan Instructions for Journal Staff
Submit requests through the Law Library's ILL system, ILLiad, to obtain materials that are not:
- Available in the Law Library,
- Available in the Georgetown main campus library book collection,
- Accessible through the university's electronic databases.
Your journal editor will be instructing you to either:
|Submit ILLs under your own account||Submit ILLs under Journal's proxy account|
First time ILLiad user:
|Editors will provide you with the Journal's ILLiad username & passwords.
Editors: Log into the proxy account, check under 'Tools' > 'Change User Information.' Update any information including email* & telephone.
For questions about proxy accounts, contact the ILL Office.
|Type your Journal's name in 'Use of Material' request field.||Type 'Ordered by [your name]' in 'Use of Material' request field.|
|You will be the point of contact.||Journal will be the point of contact.|
|You will be responsible for returning ILLs.||Journal will be responsible for returning ILLs.|
Delivery of ILLs:
Delivery of ILLs:
|ILL books cannot be transferred between two ILLiad accounts.
||ILL books cannot be transferred between two ILLiad accounts.|
- *Be sure that your email account does not filter messages from the Law Center (@law.georgetown.edu) into your junk or spam folders. If you have more than one email account and use auto forwarding, be aware that if the first account filters a mail as junk, then that message will not be forwarded to the second.
Book, media, microform & other borrowable item: request as 'Book' under 'New Request.'
- You can also place a request through a WorldCat record, look for 'Click here to request via ILL.'
Copy of article in journal, magazine & newspaper, book section or chapter & pages from non-circulating item (e.g. dictionary, encyclopedia, etc.): request as 'Photocopy' under 'New Request.'
- Books can take approximately 5 to 7 working days to arrive.
- Photocopies can arrive in 1 to 3 working days.
- Please plan & submit requests well in advance of deadlines.
- Due date is established by the lending library, not the Law Library.
- Loan period varies for each borrowed item, anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks.
- Log into ILLiad > 'View' > 'Checked Out Items' > 'click on transaction > 'Renew Request.'
- Reminders are usually emailed within five days of due date.
- Not every ILL item can be renewed, particularly an overdue loan, & if allowed, only once.
- Renewed period is usually short. Maximize the use of the borrowed item.
- Submit a new request to borrow a second copy whenever necessary.