Defining Value in Cancer Care
November 17, 2011 — This is day two of a three-day symposium, "Fighting a Smarter War Against Cancer: Linking Policy to the Patient." The participants will discuss cancer care in relation to public policy, value and personalized medicine.
This is day two of a three-day symposium, "Fighting a Smarter War Against Cancer: Linking Policy to the Patient." The participants will discuss cancer care in relation to public policy, value and personalized medicine.
This event is sponsored by the Ruesch Center for the Cure of Gastrointestinal Cancers at Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center.
More information about days one and three of the symposium is available here:
Media interested in attending the December 2 portion of the program at Georgetown Law should e-mail: email@example.com.
Time and Location
Friday, December 2, 2011, 1:00 - 5:00 p.m.; Hart Auditorium, McDonough Hall 600 New Jersey Avenue, NW Washington, D.C. 20001
1:00 - 1:10 p.m. - Introduction: Cancer Care 2011: The Cost of Care in the U.S. and Its Impact
- M. Gregg Bloche, MD, JD - Professor of Law, Georgetown University Law Center; Co-director, Georgetown/Johns Hopkins Joint Program in Law and Public Health
1:10 - 1:30 p.m. - Setting the Stage: $124 Billion Spent, to What Return?
- Antonio Tito Fojo, MD, PhD - Head, Experimental Therapeutics Section, Senior Investigator, Medical Oncology Branch Affiliates, The Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, U.S. National Institutes of Health
1:30 - 1:50 p.m. - Bending the Cost Curve in Cancer
- Thomas J. Smith, MD, FACP -Director of Palliative Medicine, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Professor of Oncology, Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center
1:50 - 2:00 p.m. - Question & Answer Session
- Moderator: John Marshall, MD - Director, Ruesch Center for the Cure of GI Cancers, Chief, Division of Hematology/Oncology
Associate Director, Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center
2:00 - 2:15 p.m. - The Gatekeepers: Safety and Efficacy vs. Value
- Gregory H. Reaman, MD - Associate Director, Office of Oncology Drug Products, Office of New Drugs, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, U.S. Food and Drug Administration
2:15- 2:30 p.m.
- Jordan D. Berlin, MD - Professor of Medicine, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
2:30 - 3:00 p.m. - Roundtable
- Moderator: M. Gregg Bloche, JD, MD- Professor of Law, Georgetown University Law Center; Co-director, Georgetown/Johns Hopkins Joint Program in Law and Public Health
Private Insurance: Why Paying for Cancer Care Makes "Business" Sense
- Ira Klein, MD, MBA, FACP - Chief of Staff, Office of the Chief Medical Officer
National Accounts Clinical Sales & Strategy, Aetna, Inc.
- J. Russell Hoverman, MD, PhD - Vice President of Managed Care, Texas Oncology Medical Director of Managed Care and Disease Management, The U.S. Oncology Network
Medicare/CMS: Unlimited Access vs. Governmental Controls
- Louis Jacques, MD - Director, Coverage & Analysis Group, Office of Clinical Standards and Quality, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
3:15 - 4:00 p.m. - Measuring Value in Cancer: U.S. & Global
- Moderator: Arnold Potosky, PhD - Director of Health Sciences Research, Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center
Comparative Effectiveness in the U.S.
- Paul J. Wallace, MD - Senior Vice President, Director, Center for Comparative Effectiveness Research, The Lewin Group
- Mona Sabharwal, BscPhm, PharmD, RPh -Executive Director, Pan-Canadian Oncology Drug Review
Value Decisions in Drug Development
- Arthur "Art" Small, MD - Head, Oncology Outcomes Research, U.S. Medical Affairs, Biometrics, Health Outcomes & Payer Support, Genentech, Inc.
Defining Value: The Individual vs. the Group
- Margaret "Mimi" Mahon, PhD, RN, FAAN - Palliative Care Nurse Practitioner, Associate Professor, School of Nursing, George Mason University, College of Health & Human Services
4:00 - 5:00 p.m. - Roundtable: The Stakeholders' Perspectives: What Do We Want in the Clinic?
- Moderator: Ellen Sigal, PhD - Chairperson and Founder, Friends of Cancer Research
Featuring Ruesch Center Advocacy Board Members:
- Carolyn R. "Bo" Aldigã - President and Founder, Prevent Cancer Foundation
- Carlea Bauman - President, Fight Colorectal Cancer
- Lucile Adams-Campbell, PhD - Associate Dean, Community Health and Outreach, Associate Director, Minority Health and Health Disparities Research, Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Julie Fleshman, JD, MBA - President and Chief Executive Officer, Pancreatic Cancer Action Network
- Morton "Morty" Funger - Chairman, Community Realty Company
- Gilad Gordon, MD, MBA - President, ORRA Group, LLC
- Jasmine Greenamyer - Chief Operating Officer, Colon Cancer Alliance
- Mace Rothenberg, MD - Senior Vice President, Clinical Development & Medical Affairs, Oncology Business Unit, Pfizer, Inc.
- Michael Sapienza - Executive Director and Chairman of the Board, Chris4Life Colon Cancer Foundation
- The Honorable Peter Teeley - Advisor, Blackstreet Capital Management, LLC, Former U.S. Ambassador to Canada
- Daniel Von Hoff, MD, FACP - Physician in Chief and Distinguished Professor, Translational Genomics Institute, Professor of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Clinical Professor of Medicine, University of Arizona College of Medicine, Chief Scientific Officer, VGPCC Clinical Trial Program, Scottsdale Healthcare