Statelessness and the Right to Nationality in the Dominican Republic
October 24, 2011 — The participants will discuss the right to nationality in the Dominican Republic, the current legal situation facing Dominicans of Haitian descent and the impact of deprivation of nationality rights.
This event is sponsored by the Georgetown Law Human Rights Institute, Center for Justice and International Law, Church World Service, Christian Aid, Episcopal Church, Jesuit Refugee Service USA, Refugees International and the Robert F. Kennedy Center for Justice & Human Rights.
Media interested in attending should e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Time and Location
Wednesday, October 26, 2011, 9:15 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.; Hart Auditorium, McDonough Hall, 600 New Jersey Avenue, NW, Washington, D.C. 20001
Schedule of Events
9:15 - 9:30 a.m. - Opening
- Michel Gabaudan, President, Refugees International
9:30 – 11:00 a.m. - Panel 1: "Statelessness and the Right to Nationality"
- Melanie Teff, Senior Advocate, Women's Rights, Refugees International (Moderator)
- Indira Goris, Program Officer, Equality and Citizenship Program, Open Society Justice Initiative
- Cristobal Rodriguez, Iberoamerican University
- Bridget Wooding, Centre for Research and Social Studies, Iberoamerican University
11:15 a.m. – 12:45 p.m. - Panel 2: "Statelessness and the Deprivation of Nationality Rights - Impacts, Challenges, Protection, Needs and Strategies"
- Shaina Aber, Associate Advocacy Director, Jesuit Refugee Service/USA (Moderator)
- Sonia Adames, Director, Jesuit Refugee and Migrant Service for Santo Domingo
- Noemi Mendez, Human Rights Attorney, Dominican Republic
- Sonia Pierre, Executive Director, Movement of Dominican-Haitian Women
1:45 – 2:30 p.m. - Keynote Speaker: "Stateslessness and the Importance of the Right to Nationality in the Dominican Republic"
- David Robinson, Acting Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees and Migration, U.S. Department of State
2:45 - 3:45 p.m. - Panel 3: "Access to Nationality and Government Policies"
- Marselha Goncalves Margerin, Advocacy Director, Center for Human Rights, Robert F. Kennedy Center for Justice & Human Rights (Moderator)
- David Baluarte, Practitioner-in-Residence, International Human Rights Clinic, American University Washington College of Law
- Vincent Cochetel, Regional Representative for the United States and the Caribbean, United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Anibal De Castro, Dominican Ambassador to the United States
- Tom Hushek, Director for Assistance for Europe, Central Asia and Americas, U.S. Department of State
3:45 – 4:30 p.m. - Panel 4: "Denationalization and Bi-National Implications"
- Jasmine Huggins, Senior Advocacy Officer, Haiti, Church World Service (Moderator)
- Colette Lespinasse, Director, Refugees and Repatriated Persons' Support Group
- Lizzette Robleto, Policy Officer, Progressio
- Francisco Quintana, Deputy Program Director for the Andean, North America and Caribbean Region, Center for Justice and International Law
4:30 – 5:00 p.m. - Summary and Closing
- Sarnata Reynolds, Director of the Statelessness Program, Refugees International