New F-1 and J-1 Students

Do you need an I-20 or DS-2019? 

Complete the International Student Questionnaire and submit your supporting documents.  After we receive all of your supporting documents, we will send you a Form I-20 or Form DS-2019.   You will use the I-20 or DS-2019 apply for a student visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country.  Canadian citizens are except from the visa requirement but must still obtain an I-20 or DS-2019 in order to enter the U.S. as a student.  

Contact Information

If you have questions not answered on this website, please email  

Which form should I request?

Form I-20 (for F-1 visa/status): Most international students use an I-20 and obtain F-1 status.  If you are primarily funded through personal or family funds, you should request an I-20 from Georgetown.

Form DS-2019 (for J-1 visa/status): Some students are eligible for a J-1 status.  Students eligible for this type of status include A) Students who are receiving at least 50% of their total program funding from an institutional sponsor, such as their home country government, and B) Transnational Programs foreign-exchange students.  

More questions? Look at the F-1/J-1 Comparison Chart



On The Web

Maps & Directions

Google Location Map Georgetown University Law Center 600 New Jersey Avenue NW Washington, DC 20001