Office of J.D. Academic Services
The Office of J.D. Academic Services is an arm of Georgetown Law’s academic administration that serves as a liaison between students, faculty, and the administration.
What we do...
- Academic and personal advising. To schedule an appointment with one of our academic advisors, call (202) 662-9041. Topics for advising (with primary advisors noted for special topics) include the following:
- Course selection
- Joint and concurrent degree programs (Emily Wack)
- Permission to overload or underload in a semester
- Permission to take courses on the Main Campus (Emily Wack)
- Permission to take summer courses at another ABA-approved law school (Emily Wack)
- Permission to transfer between divisions
- Permission to withdraw from a course
- Questions regarding adjunct JD professors (Sarah Hulsey)
- Questions regarding full-time and visiting JD professors (Sally McCarthy)
- Supervised Research project planning
- Transfer student course selection (Emily Wack)
- Visiting student course selection (Emily Wack)
- Georgetown Law Student Handbook of Academic Policies
- Course selection and Preregistration advice
- Curriculum Guide: Course schedules and course descriptions
- Course Schedule Grids
- FAQs About Course Selection
- First-Year Student Guide to Getting Started at Georgetown Law
- Guide to the Second Year and Beyond
- Part-Time Student Handbook
- Transfer Student Guide to Getting Started at Georgetown Law
- Building Relationships with Professors Panel (February 1, 2017)
- Related resources
Our Services for Faculty:
For faculty, the Office of J.D. Academic Services serves as a liaison to the Law Center’s administration and provides general academic support throughout the year. We work closely with the Dean’s Office regarding course and curriculum development, and also assist with the faculty hiring process. For J.D. adjunct and visiting faculty, we act as the primary resource for information on how to navigate the Law Center’s processes as they prepare for and teach their courses. We produce helpful checklists and guides on best practices for course design and management for adjunct and visiting professors, and schedule teaching seminars that are led by members of the full-time faculty.
- Full-Time and Visiting Faculty: Please contact Sally McCarthy, Assistant Dean, J.D. Academic Services, with any questions.
- J.D. Adjunct Faculty: Please contact Sarah Hulsey, Assistant Dean, J.D. Academic Programs, with any questions.
Where We Are:
We are located in McDonough 352. Here's how to find us:
- Starting from the third-floor atrium, pass through the fire doors across from the Office of Financial Aid.
- Take a quick left.
- Our office is on the right-hand side of the hallway (McDonough 352).