The Office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation (ASPE) within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is currently seeking student interns for the summer of 2014. ASPE serves as the principal advisor to the Secretary of HHS on policy development and is responsible for major activities in the areas of policy coordination, legislative development, strategic planning, policy research, evaluation, and economic analysis. Students will gain a fast-paced work environment uniting analytical rigor with wide policy breadth during a historic time for U.S. health policy.
The Office of Health Policy largely focuses on monitoring the impact of the Affordable Care Act. Initiatives will likely involve outreach and enrollment, payment and delivery system reform, quality improvement, patient-centered outcomes research, the health care safety net, and vulnerable populations.
Position duties and responsibilities:
• Assist in developing and executing independent policy research on a range of healthcare topics
• Collaborate with multiple HHS agencies, including the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, and the Health Resources and Services Administration
• Help respond to requests from ASPE, Departmental leadership, and the Obama Administration for policy analysis and information on a variety of healthcare topics and initiatives
• strong communication skills, both written and oral
• demonstrated interest in and familiarity with the Affordable Care Act
• a highly motivated analytic thinker
• exceptional research skills, quantitative and/or qualitative
• interest in connecting and translating research to and for policy
General Position Summary
ASPE brings together interns for weekly brown bag lunches with key Departmental leaders and occasional outings in Washington. In addition, many external organizations hold lunch briefings and day-long meetings and ASPE prides itself on encouraging interns to attend these events.
Applicants must be graduate students who are in good academic standing. Those who are accepted into the ASPE Internship Program will work at the HHS Headquarters in Washington, D.C. They will be expected to work full-time for 8 to 12 weeks. This is an unpaid position.
Click on the above link for application instructions.