Each full-time, non-clinical faculty member is assigned a faculty assistant who supports, on average ten to twelve assigned faculty members. Faculty are notified of their faculty assistant assignment at the beginning of each semester by the Director of Faculty Support. Your faculty assistant is available to support your Georgetown teaching responsibilities, committee assignments and scholarly work, including assisting in obtaining services from other departments of the Law Center. Listed below are many – but not all – of the ways our team can support you.
Course Management Support
- Help maintain Canvas course sites by sending announcements, creating modules, creating appointment slots for office hours, and posting slides.
- Coordinate with IST on your behalf for support with Canvas, SeatGEN, Zoom, or other class technology
- Request desk copies of textbooks from Publishers
- Assist with the preparation of class materials and communications – including class rosters, photo seating charts, tent cards, syllabi, classroom handouts, and presentation slides
- Assist with arrangements for invited guest speakers
- Assist with arrangements to reschedule, add, and/or cancel class meetings
- Assist with scheduling arrangements for student office hours
- Compile attendance and/or class-participation data provided by the faculty member, teaching assistant, or self-reported by students *Due to the number of faculty supported by each faculty assistant and scheduling-challenges, faculty assistants are not able to attend all or part of class sessions to track attendance personally or provide other in-class support.
- Assist with the creation and editing of Georgetown-related correspondence and presentations
- Coordinate with the Law Mail and Copy Center to prepare, send, and receive Georgetown-related faxes, FedEx, courier, and mail deliveries
- Update faculty contact information on the Law Center website (as well as communicate requests to update other information on faculty website profiles to the Library, IST, and Academic Services)
- Assist faculty with locating support for projects and activities outside the scope of a faculty assistant’s responsibilities
Scholarship and Research Support
- Index or compile research materials, books, and files
- Coordinate with the Library on matters including scholarship updates, overdue books, and book requests
- Perform basic web, Westlaw, and Lexis/Nexis searches
- Provide information about the process for faculty to recruit and hire Research Assistants
- Utilize GMS to prepare reimbursement requests for university-related travel and expenses
- Use University Travel Services to book flight/train and hotel accommodations for university-related travel
- Communicate with Financial Affairs for balance and spending inquiries for faculty research funds
- Coordinate office supply requests with the Faculty Support Receptionist on your behalf
- Escalate computer and Xerox/printer issues to the appropriate Xerox, Faculty Support, or IST contacts
- Assist with the organization and use of Box and Google Drive for electronic file storage
- Document conversion (PDF to Word, etc.) and formatting
- Create, update, and edit basic documents in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat, and Google Drive
- Provide scheduling and Google calendar support for Georgetown-related meetings and conferences
- Coordinate with A/V, IST, the Mail & Copy Center, external vendors, and Event Services for Georgetown-related meeting and event support
To ensure faculty assistants are able to provide equitable support to all their assigned faculty, administrative work associated with a Center or Institute should be handled by the Center or Institute’s Executive Director or designated staff, not by a Faculty Assistant. Faculty Assistants are similarly unable to provide support with personal, non-Georgetown-related, tasks.
If you have any questions or concerns about the support your assigned faculty assistant can or does provide, please do not hesitate to contact the Director of Faculty Support (Karly Mitchell, email@example.com, 202-662-9126).