Sticking Up for Whistleblowers, Transparency, and the Special Counsel
Government accountability and oversight, from within and from without, play an indispensable role in ensuring lawful and faithful policy administration.
ICAP represents the House Judiciary Committee in its lawsuit to compel the former White House Counsel to testify on matters and information discussed in the Special Counsel’s Report and in its suit for access to grand jury materials redacted from the Mueller report. In addition, ICAP represents plaintiffs in a lawsuit seeking information under FOIA to uncover details regarding the expulsion of unaccompanied and undocumented children without legal process since the beginning of the COVID-19 epidemic.
In addition, ICAP has written op-eds, filed amicus briefs, and gathered important voices challenging the Executive Branch to push for public disclosure of important documents, to protect government whistleblowers, and to ensure accuracy in government reporting.
- 3/8/19 – Co-hosted a discussion with Checks and Balances of the role of lawyers in promoting civil discourse, upholding the separation of powers, and defending the rule of law
- 1/16/19 – Published an op-ed on attorney general nominee William Barr and the public release of the Mueller report
- 10/16/18 – Wrote an op-ed explaining why a report by the Departments of Justice and Homeland Security wrongly links immigration to terrorism
- 9/13/18 – Sent a letter to the Departments of Justice and Homeland Security requesting reconsideration of their report implying a link between terrorism and immigration
- 3/8/18 – Filed a brief urging the Supreme Court to hear a major whistleblower case
- 2/21/18 – Filed a lawsuit seeking records from the State Department pertaining to the Department’s promotion of Mar-a-Lago on official websites and social media accounts
- 12/22/17 – Sent a letter to President Trump on behalf of 22 former U.S. Attorneys urging him to allow Special Counsel Robert Mueller time and space to complete his work
- 8/30/17 – Published an op-ed urging the Office of Special Counsel to reaffirm protections against retaliation for senior civil servants
- 8/24/17 – Filed a letter with the Office of Special Counsel on behalf of 13 leading legal scholars in support of a whistleblower alleging retaliatory reassignment by the Interior Department