Director of the Law Library
Williams Room 313B
Michelle M. Wu is the Law Library Director and Professor of Law. Before joining the law center faculty in 2010, Professor Wu served as associate dean for information services, director of the law library, and professor of law at Hofstra University School of Law. During her tenure there, she also served as interim senior vice dean for academic affairs. Prior to that appointment, she worked at The George Washington University Law School and the University of Houston Law Center. While at Houston, she oversaw the disaster recovery process following Tropical Storm Allison, including projects to renovate the library, rebuild the collection, and restructure services.
She is currently the chair of the AALS Committee on Libraries and Technology and a member of the American Bar Association Section on Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar's subcommittee on law. She has served as chair of the Academic Law Libraries Special Interest Section (ALL-SIS) of the American Association of Law Libraries (AALL), Vice President of the Law Librarians' Society of the District of Columbia (LLSDC) and as the editor of the CRIVSheet. Her research interests include copyright, intellectual property licensing, and information management. She co-edited Beyond the Books: People, Politics, and Librarianship with Leslie Lee (Hein, 2007) and has published numerous chapters and articles.
She received her J.D. from California Western School of Law and her M.Libr. from the University of Washington.
Publication List (2000–Present)
- Academic Law Library Director Perspectives: Case Studies and Insights (Michelle M. Wu ed., Buffalo, N.Y.: William S. Hein & Co. 2015). [BOOK]
- Beyond the Books: People, Politics, and Librarianship (Michelle M. Wu & Leslie A. Lee eds., Buffalo, N.Y.: William S. Hein & Co. 2007). [BOOK]
Contributions to Law Reviews and Other Scholarly Journals
- Michelle M. Wu, Collaborative Academic Library Digital Collections Post-Cambridge University Press, HathiTrust and Google Decisions on Fair Use, 1 J. Copyright Educ. & Librarianship 1-19 (2016). [SSRN] [Gtown Law] [WWW]
- Michelle M. Wu, Food for Thought: Should Libraries Partner with Nonlibrary Search Engine Providers for Their OPACs and Discovery Layers?, 1 Legal Info. Rev. 51-74 (2016).
- Michelle M. Wu, Pauline Aranas, Steven M. Barkan, Barbara Bintliff, Darin K. Fox, Penny A. Hazelton, Joan S. Howland, Spencer L. Simons & Keith Ann Stiverson, Panel, "Nowhere to Run, Nowhere to Hide": The Reality of Being a Law Library Director in Times of Great Opportunity and Significant Challenges, 107 Law Libr. J. 79-112 (2015). [HEIN] [W] [Gtown Law]
- Michelle M. Wu, Technology and Future Directions for Law Libraries, 20 Legal Writing 53-56 (2015). [HEIN] [WWW]
- Michelle M. Wu & Leslie A. Lee, An Empirical Study on the Research and Critical Evaluation Skills of Law Students, 31 Legal Reference Services Q. 205-238 (2012). [SSRN] [WWW]
- Michelle M. Wu, Building a Collaborative Digital Collection: A Necessary Evolution in Libraries, 103 Law Libr. J. 527-551 (2011). [HEIN] [W] [SSRN] [Gtown Law] [WWW]
- Michelle M. Wu & Leslie A. Lee, DMCA, CTEA, UCITA...Oh My! An Overview of Copyright Law and Its Impact on Library Acquisitions and Collection Development of Electronic Resources, 19 Acquisitions Libr. 83-97 (2007).
- Michelle M. Wu, Barbara A. Bintliff, Laura N. Gasaway, Penny A. Hazelton, Frank G. Houdek, Janis L. Johnston, Martha Dragich Pearson & Charles Ten Brink, Rebuilding the Profession: Recommendations for Librarians Interested in Becoming Academic Law Library Directors, 99 Law Libr. J. 101-132 (2007). [HEIN] [W]
- Michelle M. Wu, Why Print and Electronic Resources are Essential to the Academic Law Library, 97 Law Libr. J. 233-256 (2005). [HEIN] [W]
- Michelle M. Wu & Leslie A. Lee, Department of Justice: A Selective Compilation of Internet Resources, 22 Legal Reference Services Q. 73-117 (2003).
- Michelle M. Wu & Leslie A. Lee, Personnel Management in Access Services: A General Overview of the Literature, 1990-2002, 1(4) J. Access Services 5-44 (2003).
- Michelle M. Wu & Leslie A. Lee, Do Librarians Dream of Electronic Serials? A Beginner's Guide to Format Selection, 15 Bottom Line: Managing Libr. Fins. 102-109 (2002).
Book Chapters and Collected Works
- Michelle M. Wu, Digitization, in Law Librarianship in the Digital Age 109-122 (Ellyssa Kroski ed., Lanham, Md.: The Scarecrow Press 2014). [BOOK]
- Michelle M. Wu, Evolving Expectations for Law School Librarians, in The Changing Role of Academic Law Librarianship 35-47 (Boston: Thomson/Aspatore Books 2008). [BOOK]
- Michelle M. Wu, District of Columbia Practice Materials: A Selective Annotated Bibliography, in State Practice Materials: Annotated Bibliographies, at D.C.-1 to D.C.-29 (Frank G. Houdek & Adeen Postar eds., Buffalo, N.Y.: William S. Hein & Co. 2006).