Each year, the Institute of International Economic Law co-sponsors the International Trade Update, the premier conference for the discussion of international trade law in Washington, D.C.
At the conference, hundreds of top-level trade lawyers and officials arrive at Georgetown Law’s campus to tackle contemporary challenges relating to international trade, from sanctions to sustainable development to tariffs and beyond.
The International Trade Update is managed by the Office of Executive and Continuing Legal Education, who offers Continuing Legal Education (CLE) credit options for the conference. The conference is launched by the John D. Greenwald Lecture, made possible by a generous gift by the law firm Cassidy Levy Kent.
Past John D. Greenwald Lectures
- 2023: Peter Harrell, Former Senior Director for International Economics and Competitiveness, The White House
- 2021: Ambassador Charlene Barshefsky, Senior International Partner and Chair, International Trade, Investment and Market Access Group, WilmerHale, Former U.S. Trade Representative
- 2020: Tom Graham, Partner at Cassidy Levy Kent and former WTO Appellate Body Chairman
- 2019: Cecilia Malmström, (then) EU Commissioner for Trade
- 2018: Congressman Sander Levin, former Chair of the House Ways and Means Committee
- 2017: Amb. Alan Wolff, Deputy-Director General of the WTO and former U.S. Deputy Special Representative for Trade Negotiations