Robert F. Drinan, S.J., Chair in Human Rights
In 2006, Georgetown Law established the Robert F. Drinan, S.J., Chair in Human Rights. This position is designed to bring distinguished human rights practitioners to Georgetown Law to teach and engage with our community.
We are pleased to welcome Hina Jilani as the 2018-2019 Robert F. Drinan Chair in Human Rights at Georgetown Law. From 2000-2008, Professor Jilani served as the UN Special Representative on Human Rights Defenders. She also served as President of the World Organisation Against Torture in 2016. Professor Jilani founded Pakistan’s first all-women law firm; first legal aid centre; and national Human Rights Commission, and has been an Advocate of the Supreme Court of Pakistan since 1992. Professor Jilani was awarded the Millennium Peace Prize for Women in 2001.
Past Drinan Chairs
- 2018-2019: Hina Jilani, former UN Special Representative on Human Rights Defenders and former President of the World Organisation Against Torture.
- 2017-2018: Stephen Rapp, former Ambassador-at-Large for Global Criminal Justice. Distinguished Fellow at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum’s Center for the Prevention of Genocide and The Hague Institute for Global Justice
- 2016-2017: François Crépeau, UN Special Rapporteur on the Human Rights of Migrants and Full Professor at the McGill University Faculty of Law
- 2015-2016: Eric Rosenthal (L’92), Founder and Executive Director of Disability Rights International
- 2013-2014: Bela Kapur (LL.M.’92), former U.N. Human Rights and Political Affairs Officer
- 2011-2012: Gay McDougall, former United Nations Independent Expert on Minority Issues
- 2009-2010: Aryeh Neier, President Emeritus, Open Society Foundations
- 2008-2009: Fatsah Ouguergouz, Justice, African Court on Human and Peoples’ Rights
- 2007-2008: Thomas Buergenthal, former Judge, International Court of Justice