Office of Equity & Inclusion
In light of our Jesuit mission to educate the whole person (cura personalis) and our ongoing commitment to social justice, the Law Center launched the Office of Equity & Inclusion (OEI) in 2016 to champion community-wide equity, inclusion, and diversity initiatives.
The Office of Equity & Inclusion collaborates with the Law Center community, including staff, faculty, students, alumni and university partners, to maintain a diverse and inclusive law school environment. We work strategically to develop and support equity and inclusion efforts through community programming, educational and training programs, student advocacy, and advisory and consultancy services.
PROGRAMMING AND SUPPORT
The Office of Equity & Inclusion provides institutional support to members of the Law Center community, to examine and explore some of the complex diversity, equity, and inclusion issues facing the Law Center, legal academe and the nation.
In accordance with the American Bar Association Goal III, to eliminate bias and enhance diversity, the Office of Equity and Inclusion offers the following support to students:
- Advise individual students to address concerns as they relate to issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Serve as a resource to student groups from historically underrepresented backgrounds in the legal academy and profession, including (but not limited to): students of color; low-income students; first-generation students; Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, Asexual, Two-Spirit + (LGBTQIA2S+) students; and allies. OEI also recognizes ability as an important aspect of diversity, equity, and inclusion, and works in close collaboration with the Office of Disability Services to create an environment that is accessible and inclusive for all students.
- Elevate the diverse identities, experiences, and perspectives in the Law Center community to strengthen classroom and other learning environments and to facilitate engagement across differences. OEI believes that amplifying more voices, particularly from underrepresented backgrounds, is important for a robust exchange of ideas and deep respect for the value of different viewpoints.
FOR FACULTY & STAFF
The Office of Equity & Inclusion works to develop programs, curriculum, and moderated discussions to enhance inclusion, a sense of belonging, and to promote the discussion of difference. We do this by partnering with faculty and administrators to enhance classroom climate and pedagogy through:
- Identifying, sharing, and supporting innovative pedagogical best practices through continuing education and professional development workshops, and seminars.
- Coalition building with partners and allies work to create co-curricular programming related to cultural competency, promoting civil discourse, implicit associations and bias reduction, and exploring the intersections between social justice and various forms of diversity.