It is the responsibility of each F-1 and J-1 student to understand and be familiar with the regulations governing their immigration status. The Office of Graduate & International Programs is the primary resource for learning about rights and responsibilities as an F-1 or J-1 student at Georgetown Law. Explore our webpages or contact your International Student Advisor to familiarize yourself with the rules and regulations below.

The U.S. government considers students who violate F-1 or J-1 regulations “out of status.” Penalties for violating status can be serious and may affect not only a student’s entire academic career, but also future applications for U.S. visas or other immigration benefits.

To maintain legal status, F-1 and J-1 students must: