Do you need an I-20 or DS-2019?

Follow the steps to request an I-20 or DS-2019. After we receive all of your supporting documents, we will send you a Form I-20 (F-1 document) or Form DS-2019 (J-1 document). You will use the I-20 or DS-2019 apply for a student visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country. Canadian citizens are exempt from the visa requirement but must still obtain an I-20 or DS-2019 in order to enter the U.S. as a student.

Contact Information

If you have questions not answered on this website, please send us an email.

Which form should I request?

Form I-20 (for F-1 visa/status): Most international students use an I-20 and obtain F-1 status. If you are primarily funded through personal or family funds, you should request an I-20 from Georgetown.

Form DS-2019 (for J-1 visa/status): Some students are eligible for a J-1 status. Students eligible for this type of status include:

  1. Students who are receiving at least 50% of their total program funding from an outside sponsor, such as their home country government, and
  2. Transnational Programs foreign-exchange students.

More questions? Look at the F-1/J-1 Comparison Chart.