Externship Application Process
Credit Options: Students who wish to change between the two and three credit offerings should do so during the add/drop period.
- Students in the 3 credit seminar must work at their placements at least 15 hours per week for 11 weeks, for a total of 165 hours.
- Students in the 2 credit seminar must work at their placements at least 10 hours per week for 11 weeks for a total of 110 hours
- For students considering the 2 credit option, please note that certain agencies prefer that students work a minimum of 15 hours each week. While 10 weekly placement hours is sufficient to satisfy the Law Center credit requirement, it may not be consistent with the expectations of every prospective placement; Please research and confirm the requirements of any existing program prior to committing to an externship.
To register for the externship seminar after a placement has been secured, students must fill out and submit the online Externship Registration Form and the Supervision Agreement Form. The Supervision Agreement Form should be completed during the first week of work. After a student's application is approved, the Office of the Registrar will manually updated the student's schedule on MyAccess.
Other requirements: In addition to their field work, each student must attend two mandatory and two elective class sessions from the list. The mandatory classes are Orientation, and a final class session at which each student will give a brief presentation about their placement. There will be short written exercises for each class, as well as a Goals Memo which should be reviewed by each student's supervisor within their first week of work. Students wishing to participate in more than two elective classes will be accommodated if space is available. Class offerings are tentative and will be varied in whole or in part depending upon student interest and faculty availability. All classes are scheduled to meet on Thursdays from 5:45-7:45. Students who have conflicts with other courses should write to JDExternships@law.georgetown.edu right away to be placed on a make-up session list. Students with course conflicts will have the opportunity to attend make-up sessions scheduled on Fridays at 9am.
- Persuasive Writing
- Managing Up
- Legislative Drafting
- Communicating with Clients
- Writing an Editorial
- Strategic Planning
- Ethical Decision-Making
- Electronic Professionalism
- Group Reflections by Practice Area
- Diversity and Conflict in the Workplace
- Group Dynamics and Decision Making
- Non-Traditional Legal Speaking
- Emotional Intelligence and Leadership
- Making Mentors
If your placement requires you to provide certification of your student status, please submit such requests to the Office of the Registrar. The Registrar will require a signature to process the requests. The certification form can be found at http://www.law.georgetown.edu/campus-services/registrar/transcripts-certifications-bar-information/index.cfm. Signed requests can be mailed, faxed (202-662-9235), or scanned and emailed as a pdf file to email@example.com.
- Externship Registration Form (Fall form will be up by August)
Please note: The course will be manually added to your schedule by the Office of the Registrar. If there are any problems with your application, you will be contacted directly by the Office of the Registrar or by the JD Externship office.
Supervision Agreement Form
Please submit your supervision agreement form via Courseware within a week of your start date.
Student Agreement Form
Please submit your supervision agreement form via Courseware.
- Working with Minors Form
This form is to be completed only by students who will have unsupervised time with minors.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.