At The Community Justice Project, students serve as advocates, consultants, advisors, capacity-builders, strategic planners, policy analysts, and community organizers to help clients tackle complex, high priority projects across a wide variety of subject areas.
During the Spring 2015 semester, CJP students are working with:
- Advocates for Justice and Education, Inc. to assess the overuse of exclusionary disciplinary policies in DC schools and to develop a strategic advocacy policy plan in response.
- DC Lawyers for Youth, Open City Advocates (formerly Mentoring Today), & School Justice Project to research, recommend, and facilitate ways for the organizations to work and advocate together.
- LIFT-DC, an organization supporting and empowering the poor in DC, to evaluate the potential for policy advocacy in support of its direct services mission.
- University Legal Services to investigate the effects of disciplinary policies and practices in the District's jails on incarcerated individuals with mental illness.
During the Fall 2014 semester, CJP students worked with:
- The Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia to ensure that both the opinions of public housing residents and the approaches of different jurisdictions are considered as Legal Aid advocates for revised public housing policies regarding marijuana-related eviction.
- Quality Trust for Individuals with Disabilities to revitalize a coalition in support of ending civil commitment by mobilizing parents of individuals with intellectual disabilities.
- Women Involved in Reentry Efforts (The W.I.R.E) to facilitate a strategic planning process for the organization. CJP students helped The W.I.R.E. to articulate its objectives, identify critical steps for the organization's growth, and develop a framework for future decision-making.
Use the drop down menu below to browse our reports.
Use the drop down menu to view videos related to our project work and advocacy.
Past Projects Index
Our projects cover many areas of law and advocacy, and are organized here by type of work and substantive topic. Click on a project from the drop down menu for more information about the project goals and outcome. Click here to read descriptions of all past projects.