Requirements & How to Apply
How to Apply
All students who wish to receive academic credit for an externship must submit a completed Externship Application and Supervision Agreement Form. Students whose placement is a student-initiated placement (SIP) must also submit a SIP Approval Request Form.
Students cannot add the two credits to their schedules on their own; once we receive the Externship Application and Supervision Agreement Form, we work with the Registrar's Office to add the two credits to the students' schedules.
- Mandatory Orientation: LL.M. students who have submitted the required forms and will enroll in a for-credit externship must also attend a mandatory externship orientation program held during the first week of the semester.
- Time Commitment: LL.M. students are then required to devote a minimum of ten (10) hours per week for at least eleven (11) weeks to the externship. The work week is Monday - Friday. Please note that some organizations request more than 10 hours per week (most students participating in the program average 12-16 hours per week), but no full-time student should work more than 20 hours in any given week.
- Time Sheet: LL.M. students must keep a weekly time sheet that confirms the number of hours the student has worked and generally describes the nature of the work performed without disclosing any confidential information. The time sheet must be turned in by close of business on the Monday following the work week.
- Paper: At the end of the semester, the student will be required to submit a 5-10 page paper reflecting on the externship experience (see description in the LL.M. Externship Program Information).
- Mandatory Exit Class: All externship participants must attend a mandatory exit class at the end of the semester.
This Fall, we will offer optional enrichment programs for students. Priority will be given to students who are doing a Fall Externship.
Fall 2015 Externship Deadlines
- Externship Application and Supervision Agreement Form due no later than Tuesday, September 8, 2015 at 5:00pm
- Mandatory orientation: Friday, September 4, 2015, at 4:00pm, Hotung 1000
- Externships may begin as early as August 31, 2015, but must start no later than the week of September 14, 2015 and end by Friday, December 4, 2015.
- Mandatory exit class: Friday, December 4, 2015 at 4:00pm
- Paper due to Registrar: Friday, December 18, 2015 by 5:00pm
Externship FAQs (PDF)
Externship Application (Google form)
SIP Approval Request Form (.doc)
Weekly Timesheet (Google form)
Reflection Paper (PDF)
Student Evaluation Form (Google form)