Requirements, Application Procedures, & Documents
How to Apply
All students who wish to receive academic credit for an externship must submit a completed Externship Application and Supervision Agreement Form. Students whose placement is a student-initiated placement (SIP) must also submit a SIP Approval Request Form.
Students cannot add the two credits to their schedules on their own; once we receive the Externship Application and Supervision Agreement Form, we work with the Registrar's Office to add the two credits to the students' schedules.
- Location: The externship must be located in the D.C. metropolitan area.
- Supervisor: Your direct supervisor must be a lawyer.
- Work: The work must be substantive and law-related. The work must be done by someone with a law background.
- Mandatory Orientation: LL.M. students who have submitted the required forms and will enroll in a for-credit externship must also attend a mandatory externship orientation program held during the first week of the semester.
- Time Commitment: LL.M. students are then required to devote a minimum of ten (10) hours per week for at least eleven (11) weeks to the externship. The work week is Monday - Friday. Please note that some organizations request more than 10 hours per week (most students participating in the program average 12-16 hours per week), but no full-time student should work more than 20 hours in any given week.
- Timesheet: LL.M. students must keep a weekly timesheet that confirms the number of hours the student has worked and generally describes the nature of the work performed without disclosing any confidential information. The timesheet must be turned in by close of business on the Monday following the work week.
- Paper: At the end of the semester, the student will be required to submit a 5-10 page paper reflecting on the externship experience (see link on right-hand side of this page).
- Mandatory Exit Class: All externship participants must attend a mandatory exit class at the end of the semester.
Fall 2016 Externship Deadlines
- Externship Application and Supervision Agreement Form due no later than Tuesday, September 6, 2016 at 5:00pm
- Mandatory orientation: Friday, September 2, 2016, at 4:00pm in Hotung 2000
- Externships may begin as early as August 29, 2016, but must start no later than the week of September 5, 2016 and end by Friday, December 2, 2016.
- Mandatory exit class: Friday, December 2, 2016 at 4:00pm
- Paper due to Registrar: Friday, December 16, 2016 by 5:00pm
Spring 2017 Externship Deadlines
- Externship Application and Supervision Agreement Form due no later than Monday, January 23, 2017 at 5:00pm
- Mandatory orientation: Friday, January 13, 2017, at 4:00pm in Hotung 1000
- Externships may begin as early as January 9, 2017, but must start no later than the week of January 23, 2017 and end by Friday, April 28, 2017.
- Mandatory exit class: Friday, April 28, 2017 at 4:00pm
- Paper due to Registrar: Friday, May 5, 2017 by 5:00pm
Externship FAQs (PDF)
Reflection Paper (PDF)
Externship Application (Google form)
SIP Approval Request Form (Word document)
LLM Externship Weekly Timesheet & Journal (Google form)
Evaluation Form for Students (Google form)