Juan Carlos Botero, S.J.D., '13
Juan Carlos Botero is the World Justice Project's Executive Director and formerly Director of the Rule of Law Index, where he has led the development of the Index project and co-authored the report since its inception in 2008. Mr. Botero’s previous experience as a researcher at Yale University and consultant for the World Bank focused on developing cross-country indicators and designing several indices of the World Bank’s Doing Business report. Previous experiences include service as the Director of the Colombian Government Trade Bureau in Washington D.C., Chief International Legal Counsel of the Colombian Ministry of Commerce, Deputy-Chief Negotiator of the US-Colombia Free Trade Agreement, member of the Advisory Board of the Colombian Antitrust and Consumer Protection Agency, and Judicial Clerk at the Colombian Constitutional Court. He has been a professor or guest lecturer in several countries, and is the Vice Chair of the World Economic Forum's Global Agenda Council on the Rule of Law. His academic publications focus on the areas of rule of law, access to justice, and labor regulation. A national of Colombia, Mr. Botero holds a law degree from Universidad de los Andes, a Master of Laws (LLM) from Harvard University, and a Doctor of Juridical Science (SJD) from Georgetown University.
- “The Delivery of Justice in Middle-Income Countries,” in Law and Development of Middle Income Countries, edited by Randall Peerenboom and Tom Ginsburg. Forthcoming, 2013. Cambridge University Press.
- “Justice by the Numbers” (with A. Ponce and J. Martinez), in American Bar Association –Section of International Law Rule of Law Handbook, forthcoming 2013. American Bar Association.
- “Using Indicators in International Law: The WJP Rule of Law Index 2011.” 106 ASIL Proc. 214 (2013). The American Society of International Law.
- The WJP Rule of Law Index 2012 - 2013 (with M. Agrast, J. Martinez, A. Ponce and C. Pratt). The World Justice Project, November 2012. Available on-line at: www.worldjusticeproject.org.
- Innovations in Rule of Law (with R. Janse, S. Miller and C. Pratt, editors) June, 2012. Washington DC: Hiil and The World Justice Project. http://www.hiil.org/publication/?itemID=606
- “The Rule of Law Measurement Revolution: Complementarity Between Official Statistics, Qualitative Assessments, and Quantitative Indicators of the Rule of Law” in Botero, et. al., editors, Innovations in Rule of Law, June, 2012. Washington DC: Hiil and The World Justice Project.
- “Contextual predictive factors of child sexual abuse: The role of parent-child interaction” (with A. Pinzon and C. Ramirez). Child Abuse and Neglect. Volume 35, Issue 12, December 2011, Pages 1022–1031.
- “Indices and indicators of justice, governance and the rule of law: an overview” (with R. Nelson and C. Pratt). Hague Journal on the Rule of Law, Vol. 3, Issue 2 (2011), pp. 153-169.
- The WJP Rule of Law Index 2011 (with M. Agrast and A. Ponce). The World Justice Project, June 2011. Available on-line at: www.worldjusticeproject.org.
- The WJP Rule of Law Index 2010 (with M. Agrast and A. Ponce). The World Justice Project, October 2010. Available on-line at: www.worldjusticeproject.org.
- “Access to justice in the United States” (with R. Mathews). VIRGINIA LAWYER Magazine, December 2010, Vol. 59, No. 5. pp. 24-25. Available online at: http://www.vsb.org/docs/valawyermagazine/vl1210-access.pdf
- “Workplace abuse and economic exploitation of children working in the streets of Latin American cities” (with A.M. Pinzon-Rondon, L. Benson, L. Briceno-Ayala, and M. Kanamori). International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health, Vol. 16, No 2 (2010).
- “Sexually-transmitted disease prevalence and the factors associated with it in sexually-exploited children in Bogota, Colombia” (with A.M. Pinzon-Rondon, T.W. Ross, and M.M. Baquero-Umana). Revista de Salud Publica, Universidad Nacional de Colombia. Vol. 11, No. 3 (2009). Spanish.
- “The health of children working in the streets of Latin American cities: risks, injuries, and child abuse” (with A.M. Pinzon-Rondon, L. Briceno, and C. Pinzon-Florez). Revista Saludarte. Vol. 6, No. 2 (November 2008). Colsubsidio, Colombia. Spanish.
- Measuring adherence to the rule of law around the world (with M. Agrast, A. Ponce, and C. Dumas). The World Justice Project, July 2008. Revised November 2009. Available on-line at: www.worldjusticeproject.org.
- “Trabajo infantil ambulante en las capitales Latinoamericanas” (with A.M. Pinzon-Rondon, L. Briceno-Ayala, P. Cabrera, and M.N. Rodriguez). Salud Publica de Mexico, Vol. 48, No. 5, pp. 363-372 (2006).
- “The regulation of labor” (with S. Djankov, R. La Porta, F. López-de-Silanes, and A. Shleifer). The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Vol. 119, Issue 4 (2004), pp. 1339–1382.
- ______. [Reprinted in Rivista Italiana di Diritto del Lavoro, (2005). Italian.]
- ______. [Reprinted in John J. Donohue III (ed.), Economics of Labor and Employment Law, Edward Elgar Publishing (2007).]
- “Judicial reform” (with R. La Porta, F. López-de-Silanes, A. Shleifer, and A. Volokh). The World Bank Research Observer, Vol. 18, no. 1 (2003), pp. 61-88.
- “Generalidades del tratado de libre comercio con Estados Unidos,” in El TLC y el Derecho de la Distribución Comercial. Universidad Externado de Colombia, Colegio de Abogados de Medellín, Cámara de Comercio de Medellín. Biblioteca Jurídica Dike. Bogotá, 2006.
- Manual de servicios financieros (with C. Manrique and A. Saba). Handbook. Bogotá, Nueva Frontera, 1994.
- “El estado Robin Hood”. Revista Alter Ego. University of Los Andes Law School. Bogotá, 1993.