To view with captions, click the "CC" button at the bottom right of the video.
Academic Training is the opportunity for J-1 students to apply knowledge gained in the program of study to off-campus work. AT is authorized by Graduate Programs. The video above and the steps below will walk you through the AT application process. J-1 students are immediately eligible to apply for AT.
Step 1. Review Eligibility Requirements
- The job/internship must be related to your field of study.
- AT may be used before or after completion of academic program.
- AT period cannot exceed length of program
Step 2: Submit Academic Training Application
For pre-completion AT and post-completion Academic Training, complete the AT Authorization Form and submit the form to Graduate Programs along with:
- Job Offer Letter on company/organization letterhead. Letter should include:
- Position Title
- Job description
- Supervisor contact information (name, phone number, and email address)
- Number of hours per week you will be working
- start and end date
- whether the position is paid or unpaid
- Copy of I-94 card (front & back), or automated I-94 Form (cbp.gov/i94)
AT applications must be received and approved prior to the end date on the DS-2019.
Once the application is approved, Graduate Programs will authorize Academic Training and issue a new DS-2019 (Processing Time: 3-5 business days).
Step 3: Academic Training Guidelines
Employment may only begin on the start date noted on the DS-2019.
AT applications must be received and approved prior to the start of employment
Written requests for AT must be received 3-5 prior to the requested start date of employment.
Step 4: Final Evaluation
For each Academic Training authorization, J-1 students, their supervisor and their academic advisor must submit the J-1 AT Evaluation Form no sooner than one week prior to and no later than five days after the
AT end date. Students are responsible for ensuring that their
supervisors are familiar with the objectives they established and
providing the form to both the supervisor and the academic advisor.
Post-Completion Academic Training
- You must extend the DS-2019 form for the Academic Training period. Apply for AT at least 3-5 days before the program end date on the DS-2019 Form.
a valid passport (valid six months into the future)
a valid J-1 entry visa stamp in the passport
original DS-2019 Form signed for travel in the last 6 months
financial documentation or job offer letter with salary noted
- Address: DHS requires all J-1 students to report any change of local address to Graduate Programs within 10 days of moving to a new residence. Graduates working with AT should use our Online Address and Employment Update Form.
J-1 Academic Training: J-1 students working with post-completion Academic Training must submit an AT Request Form for each new or extended period of training. Requests must be received in Graduate Programs at least 10 days PRIOR to the expiration of the current DS-2019. All request forms must be accompanied by proof of health insurance as well as sufficient funds for living expenses.