Guidelines for Departments and Students
On-Campus employment is work performed on the premises of Georgetown University, including employment with the Medical Center or any on-location commercial firms which provide direct services for students on campus.
- A student in valid F-1 status may engage in on-campus employment
- Employment may begin up to 30 days prior to the program start date listed on the student's Form I-20.
- All F-1 student employment may not exceed 20 hours per week while school is in session.
- Employment may be full time during official school breaks or vacations, such as the summer session.
- Approval for on-campus employment is automatically withdrawn when the student's program is completed or terminated.
Does the student have a Social Security Number (SSN)?
YES: There is no need to report the on-campus employment or request authorization from OIP.
NO : Hiring department completes the Social Security On-Campus Employment Form, prints on official letterhead, and gives letter to student to take to Graduate Programs
Do you have a Social Security Number?
YES: There is no need to report the on-campus employment or request authorization from Graduate Programs.
NO: Bring completed Social Security On-Campus Employment Form to Graduate Programs for a signature from your International Student Advisor and apply for a Social Security Number
Applying for the Social Security NumberSee Taxes and Social Security
Completing the Hiring Paperwork
The student will be required to complete hiring paperwork. Contact the Payroll Office (202 662-9050) with any questions.
I-9 Form: Federal law requires the University to verify the identity and the legal ability to work of all its employees before the third day of employment. You will be asked to choose from a list of documents that establish your legal status and to provide the originals of those documents to your employer. The complete list of documents is available on the I-9 Form. The following combinations of documents are most commonly used for F-1 students working on-campus: (F-1) Unexpired Passport, Form I-94, Form I-20