Search Before the Search
The Search Before the Search (SBTS) is an initiative developed for first-year students by the Office of Public Interest & Community Service (OPICS) and the Office of Career Services (OCS) in partnership with the Office of the Dean of Students (ODOS). SBTS helps first-year students take ownership of their professional development from the first days of law school. Sessions are held throughout the academic year and cover topics ranging from personal values assessment and maximizing co-curricular activities in law school to summer job essentials and professionalism in the work place. SBTS sessions encourage students to be reflective about their individual strengths, values and goals, educate them about the breadth of careers in the law, and prepare them to consider how different legal settings align with personal strengths and goals.
Fall 2012 Schedule
Finding Your Career Path
- Wednesday, Sept. 12, 2012, 3:30 p.m., Hart Auditorium
- Monday, Sept. 24, 2012, 3:30 p.m. Hart Auditorium
- Featuring a broad overview of the different types of legal practice (litigation, regulatory, transactional, and policy advocacy) and legal settings (government, large firm, small firm, corporate, and public interest), presented by the Office of Public Interest and Community Service (OPICS) and Office of Career Services (OCS), as well as a panel of four Georgetown Law graduates discussing their practices and offering advice on exploring opportunities in the legal field
- Advanced registration in Org-Sync and membership in the "Peer Advisors and Alumni Mentors" organization is required.
**To register for Org-Sync, click here and join the Peer Advisors and Alumni Mentors organization.
**Already have an Org-Sync account? Click here to log-on and be sure to join the Peer Advisors and Alumni Mentors organization.
- Once registered, go to the Peer Advisors and Alumni Mentors page and click on "Events" on the left-hand navigation menu.
- Select the "Summer Job Search Essentials" session you would like to attend, and select the "Attending" option under "RSVP."
Spring 2013 Schedule
First Year Choices
- 1L Choices on Wednesday, January 16, 3:30 p.m., Hart Auditorium
- 1E Choices on Tuesday, January 22, 7:45 p.m. McDonough 207
- Introduction to curricular and extracurricular opportunities for the coming year. Panel will (1) discuss the application calendar for the most popular programs and activities; (2) explore how to assess which of these opportunities best align with personal, academic and professional goals and values; (3) explore key “lawyering competencies” in various programs; and (4) demonstrate through mock interviews how to effectively discuss activities in employment interviews.
Course Advice Selection Panel
- Presented by Office of J.D. Academic Service and Office of the Dean of Students
- Full-time Students: Wednesday, April 17, 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., Hart Auditorium
- Part-time Students: Wednesday, April 17, 8:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., McDonough 207
Nuts and Bolts of the Registration System
- Presented by Office of the Registrar
- Full-time Students: Wednesday, April 17, 4:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m., Hart Auditorium
- Part-time Students: Wednesday, April 17, 9:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., McDonough 207