The Office of Faculty Support at Georgetown Law assists full-time, non-clinical faculty members with the range of their Georgetown teaching responsibilities, committee assignments, and scholarly work.
Who is my faculty assistant?
Your faculty assistant is a member of a highly collaborative team of 10+ faculty support staff, available to assist you with your Georgetown teaching, scholarship, and service activities. Faculty assistants support, on average, 10-15 assigned faculty members each semester. Their backgrounds and experience are diverse.
Faculty assistants are assigned at the beginning of each semester. For fall, you will receive an email with information on your assigned faculty assistant in August. For spring, you will receive an email in December. The Director of Faculty Support assigns faculty assistants to faculty members based on various factors, including continuity and office locations.
What schedule does my faculty assistant work?
Most faculty assistants work a hybrid schedule. Each faculty assistant has a team lead who coordinates and provides in-person coverage on faculty assistant work-from-home days. Faculty assistants work eight-hour days with a lunch break. Additional hours (including evening and weekend work) subject the Law Center to overtime charges. If you have needs outside the regular work day or have an after-hours need requiring urgent attention, please get in touch with the Director of Faculty Support to determine if alternative arrangements can be made.
What services can my faculty assistant provide?
Below are many–-but not all–-of the ways our team can support you.
Course Management Support:
• Maintaining Canvas course sites
• Preparing class materials and communications
• Requesting instructor copies of casebooks
• Arranging guest speaker visits
• Rescheduling, adding, and canceling class meetings
• Coordinating with IST/AV for tech support
• Scheduling student office hours through Canvas
• Compiling attendance and class participation data
• Arranging travel for university-related activities
• Providing calendar support for university-related activities
• Submitting campus facilities requests
• Reserving campus meeting and event space
• Working with the Xerox team to maintain copy machines
• Liaising with the Logistics team on print jobs and stationery
Finance and Purchasing Support:
• Submitting reimbursement requests
• Monitoring faculty research funds
• Purchasing goods and supplies
Scholarship and Research Support:
• Coordinating workshops and colloquia
• Scanning, photocopying, indexing, and compiling research materials
• Executing basic web, Westlaw, and Lexis/Nexis searches
• Indexing and cataloging of office libraries
• Editing of writing and research
• Compiling research materials
• Assisting with scholarship updates, overdue books, and book requests
• Connecting you with staff for manuscript editing, copyright requests, and clerkship applications
• Special projects as requested
• Mailing packages and letters
• Updating faculty online biographies
Faculty Support staff cannot perform the following activities:
• Grading or proofreading assignments and exams
• Running errands off campus
• Supporting adjunct and clinical faculty
• Possessing or saving personal credit card information
• Supporting work associated with a Center or Institute
How do I request services?
The simplest way to request assistance is by emailing your faculty assistant, who will collaborate with their team lead and other departments to ensure work is completed competently and promptly. Because assistants support many faculty members, please provide your assistant with sufficient notice when requesting assistance, particularly at the beginning and end of the semester, which are the busiest times for all of us at the Law Center.
Who do I contact if I have feedback about faculty support services?
The Director of Faculty Support, Beverly Sapp, at email@example.com.