Resume and Cover Letter Review Services
The resume and the cover letter are the two most important pieces of correspondence you will write during your job search process.
- To see how to draft a strong, clear resume that conveys your relevant skills, education, and employment history precisely and efficiently, go to our page on Preparing an Effective Resume.
- To learn about the essentials of constructing persuasive cover letters, go to our page on Drafting Effective Cover Letters and E-mail Correspondence.
These pages, which include samples and guidelines to help you self-critique, will help you make a good start on these crucial documents, and during the academic year, we also encourage you to attend our workshops on resume, cover letter, and business correspondence writing.
We recognize that, even with all of these resources at your disposal, it can be useful to have someone else review these items. To facilitate this process, we offer a service whereby you can submit substantially final drafts of your resume and/or cover letter electronically for review.
- In order to use our review service for your resume, we require you to use one of our resume templates.
- Please keep in mind that for each semester (Fall semester: September to December) and Spring semester: January to May), currently enrolled LL.M. students are limited to the submission of five documents for review. Note: documents submitted during Fall semester do not count towards a students’ Spring semester limit.
- LL.M. alumni may use the document review service but are limited to the submission of five documents total. Note: documents submitted while enrolled as a student do not count towards an alumni total.
- A document is defined as text with a separate header (e.g., a resume and cover letter included in one PDF are two documents).
- Office of Graduate Careers will make every effort to reply to your submission within one week (7 business days), although occasionally this is not possible due to high volume. For this reason, please send your documents well in advance of any deadline.
- Our policy is not to review writing samples, personal statements or job application forms.