We are looking forward to meeting you and welcoming you to the Gewirz Student Center beginning on August 17, 2020. We want your move in to Gewirz to be as smooth as possible. To assist you with your move, we are providing you with the following information.
2020-2021 Move-in Schedule
All residents will be asked to schedule a specific two-hour time for their arrival between August 17 and August 22. If you would prefer to move in after August 22, please contact the Office of Residence Life by email to discuss your situation and make plans. More information and the specific sign-up process will be sent to incoming residents by email.
Please note that public health circumstances necessitate a less-dense move-in process this year as well as additional behavior to protect incoming residents. Specific information will be provided to incoming residents by email.
Free short term parking will be available in the Gewirz Student Center garage as part of the move-in process. No access cards will be needed for the garage on these days. All guest vehicle must be moved by 8:00am on the Monday following move-in weekend.
The Gewirz Student Center is conveniently located near many comfortable accommodations for your guests.
- The Hotel George (15 E Street NW, Washington, DC 20001; (202) 347-4200)
- Washington Court Hotel (525 New Jersey Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20001; (202) 628-2100)
- Hyatt Regency Washington DC Capitol Hill (400 New Jersey Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20001; (202) 737-1234)
- Liaison Hotel (415 New Jersey Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20001; (202) 638-1616)
- The Phoenix Park Hotel (520 North Capitol Street NW, Washington, DC 20001; (800) 824-5419)
- Fairfield Inn and Suites (500 H Street NW, Washington, DC 20001; (202-289-5959)
Mailing Address and Shipping Information
Your Gewirz mailing address is below:
120 F Street NW
Washington, DC 20001
All mail should be addressed to your mailbox number while all packages should be addressed to your apartment number. We will begin accepting mail and packages on the Monday before move-in. Please do not send any mail or packages to arrive to Gewirz prior to that date.
What to Bring
You may wish to bring the following items:
- extra long twin bed sheets (mattresses are 39″x 80)
- bed pillow(s)
- desk lamp
- bedside lamp
- pots and pans
- cooking utensils
- small microwave oven (there is a microwave oven cabinet in each kitchen which measures 21″ wide x 12″ deep x 15″ high)
- cleaning supplies (including laundry detergent)
- trash can
- TV (must be compatible with digital cable services)
Please note that land-line telephones are not available in the Gewirz Student Center. Students wishing to use a telephone can only use cellular telephones in the building.
Nearby Shopping Information
To purchase any last-minute items or to help you get settled, here are some nearby shops:
- Walmart: 99 H Street NW, Washington, DC 20001
- Bed Bath and Beyond (housewares): 709 7th Street NW, Washington, DC 20001
- Safeway (grocery store): 490 L Street NW, Washington, DC 20001
- Giant (grocery store): 300 H St NE, Washington, DC 20002
- Harris Teeter (grocery store): 1201 1st Street NE, Washington, DC 20002
- Columbia Heights DC USA Shopping Plaza (Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, Best
Buy, Marshalls): 3100 14th Street NW, Washington, DC 20010
- Trader Joe’s (grocery store): 350 Florida Ave NE, Washington, DC 20002
- Whole Foods (grocery store): 600 H St NE, Washington, DC 20002