Upperclass Course Withdrawal Policy

(effective since Summer 2016)

Except as otherwise provided for professor permission courses, clinics, practicum courses, or externships,** an upperclass student may withdraw from a course up to and including the last day of classes after consultation with and approval by an advisor (see below for how to seek such approval).  Withdrawals for courses shorter than one semester, including “mini” and “bookend” courses, may be granted up to and including the last day of classes for that course.***  Withdrawals for yearlong courses may be granted up to and including the last day of classes for the second semester.

Students must complete a “Course Withdrawal Request Form” (provided below), including obtaining any required signatures, if applicable, and submit the form to the advisor prior to the scheduled meeting.  During the meeting, the advisor will discuss with the student the consequences of withdrawing.  The completed form including the advisor’s approval must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar no later than the last day of classes for the semester, as published in the Academic Calendar (or earlier in the case of courses shorter than one semester).  Withdrawals are recorded on the student’s transcript as “withdrawal” or “W.”  Students who do not receive approval by the deadline are expected to complete all course requirements.

*This form applies only to upperlevel course withdrawal requests. J.D. students who are considering withdrawing from a first-year course (including those taken during the upperclass years by part-time students) must contact the Dean of Students for approval, at 202-662-4066.

**There are additional restrictions and/or signatures required where a student requests to withdraw from (1) professor permission courses, (2) courses in which the professor requires professor permission to withdraw, as noted in the course description found in the Curriculum Guide and/or the course syllabus, (3) practicum courses, (4) clinics, and (5) externships.  These are outlined in their course description and/or in their course syllabi. J.D. students who are considering withdrawing from a clinic should see the 2019-2020 Clinic Registration Handbook and contact the Assistant Dean for Experiential Education for more information.

***For courses shorter than one semester which end on a weekend, withdrawal forms will be accepted the following business day, unless the professor has provided otherwise on the course syllabus.

Setting up an appointment with an advisor:

  • J.D. Students, call the Office of J.D. Academic Services at 202-662-9041 or the Office of the Dean of Students at 202-662-4066, or email the Experiential Education advisors at lawexp@georgetown.edu to make an appointment with an academic advisor.
  • LL.M. Students: Visit the Advising for LL.M. and S.J.D Students website for a comprehensive list.
  • Foreign exchange students should first contact Cara Morris, at 202-662-9860.

Course Withdrawal Request Form PDF/WORD

Important Warnings before you Withdraw:

Withdrawals are subject to the Tuition Refund Schedule

Credit and Program Length Requirement:  A J.D. student who does not complete the minimum per-semester credit load for their division (full-time or part-time) may be required to extend his or her graduation date.  For more information, see page 6 of the Georgetown Law Student Handbook of Academic Policies.

Financial Aid: Students must be enrolled in at least 6 credits (for J.D. students) or 4 credits for LL.M. students) in the Fall or Spring to remain eligible for financial aid.  Students borrowing federal loans should review the financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy and/or talk with a financial aid advisor to discuss any questions related to the specific application of the policy.

Student Health Insurance: Students who, due to withdrawals, are registered for fewer than 8 credits in a Fall semester may not be eligible for health insurance coverage under the Premier Plan.  Students should review the information found on the Student Health Insurance website, and email shi@georgetown.edu with any questions.

International Students: Due to U.S. visa regulations, students in F-1 or J-1 student visa status who wish to withdraw from any course or from the Law Center must obtain prior approval from the International Student Advisor at lawcentervisa@georgetown.edu.