Juris Doctor/Master of Business Administration
The four year J.D./M.B.A. program requires completion of 119.5 academic credits (76 credits of Law Center courses and 43.5 credits of M.B.A. work; 9 credits of MBA work count toward the JD degree requirements). The program also requires: (1) completion of the graduation requirements of both programs; (2) maintenance of a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.00/4.00 in the M.B.A. program and the required minimum cumulative grade point average for the J.D. program (see the Juris Doctor Program chapter of the Georgetown Law Student Handbook of Academic Policies); and (3) specific upperclass J.D. courses that must be taken to fulfill distribution requirements for either the Corporate Law or Public Policy focus, as outlined below. In addition to the J.D. and M.B.A. degrees, a Joint Program Certificate will be awarded upon satisfactory completion of the program.
The required J.D./M.B.A. academic credits are distributed as follows:
- 30 credits of the required first-year law program;
- 46 credits in upperclass law courses, including:
- a course in professional responsibility;
- satisfactory completion of the upperclass legal writing requirement;
- 6 credits of experiential coursework; and
- additional courses in the Corporate Law or Public Policy focus area, as described below;
- 31.5 credits of required M.B.A. core classes (Leading Teams for Performance and Impact; Structure of Global Industries; Accounting Fundamentals; Corporate Financial Reporting; Financial Analysis for Managers and Investors; Firm Analysis and Strategy; Financial Markets and Corporate Decision Making; Marketing Analysis & Customer Strategy; Managerial Statistics; Analytical Problem Solving; Leadership Communications; and Operations are taken in the first year of the M.B.A. program. Business and Policy in a Global Economy; Ethical Leadership; and the Global Business Experience are taken in the third or fourth year of the program); and
- 12 credits of M.B.A. elective classes, which should include one Intensive Learning Experience.
Corporate Law Focus
In addition to the core requirements, students selecting the corporate law focus must complete:
- Federal Income Taxation;
- Corporate Taxation; and
- 6 additional credits of business-related law courses to be taken in the third or fourth year.
Public Policy Focus
In addition to the core requirements, students selecting the public policy focus must complete:
- 18 credits of required public policy-related law courses taken in the third and fourth years, which include Administrative Law (not required for students who have completed Government Processes in Curriculum B), Constitutional Law II, Corporations, Legislation and Statutory Interpretation (or Legislation), and Federal Income Taxation; and
- 6 additional credits of required public policy-related law courses to be taken in the third or fourth year.
M.B.A. Management Science Major
Students have the option of obtaining the M.B.A. Management Science major. This requires completion of 6 STEM-eligible elective credits and 18 M.B.A. core credits as part of the 43.5 credits of M.B.A. work.
Typical Degree Path
A typical distribution of the academic credits in the J.D./M.B.A. Program:
- First Year: 30-31 J.D. credits (depending on optional 1-credit Week One simulation course)
- Second Year: 31.5 M.B.A. credits
- Third Year: 22 J.D. credits, 9 M.B.A. credits
- Fourth Year: 23-24 J.D. credits, 3 M.B.A. credits