Requirements, Application Procedures & Documents
How to Apply
- LL.M. students secure their own externships. While searching for externships, you may wish to review student externs’ evaluations from prior semesters. Evaluations from Fall 2014 – Spring 2018 are in binders in Hotung 5000. Evaluations from Fall 2018 – Spring 2020 are online.
- After securing an eligible placement, LL.M. students who want to receive academic credit for an externship must submit a completed Externship Application and Supervision Agreement Form. Links for these documents are on the right-hand side of this page.
- Once a student has accepted an offer to extern at an organization, the student must withdraw his or her applications at all other organizations where s/he has applied. It is in violation of the policies in the Georgetown Law Student Handbook regarding student conduct in the job search process for a student to continue to interview with other employers after a student has accepted an offer to extern with an employer.
- Students whose placement is a student-initiated placement (SIP) – meaning that they did not find the externship via the database of pre-approved organizations – must also submit a SIP Approval Request Form well in advance of the add/drop deadline.
- Students cannot add the two credits to their schedules on their own; once we receive the Externship Application and Supervision Agreement Form, we work with the Registrar’s Office to add the two credits to the students’ schedules.
- Location: For the Fall 2020 semester, since many students will be doing remote work, Ll.M. students are permitted to extern at an organization outside the D.C. metropolitan area.
- Supervisor: Your direct supervisor must be a lawyer.
- Work: The work must be substantive and law-related. The work must be done by someone with a law background.
- New Experience: Students cannot receive academic credit if they worked or interned previously with the organization.
- Mandatory Orientation: LL.M. students who have submitted the required forms and will enroll in a for-credit externship must attend a mandatory externship orientation program held during the first week of the semester.
- Time Commitment: LL.M. students are required to devote a minimum of ten (10) hours each week for at least eleven (11) weeks to the externship. The work week is Monday – Friday. Please note that some organizations request more than 10 hours per week (most students participating in the program average 12-16 hours per week), but no full-time student should work more than 20 hours in any given week.
Note: two 5-hour work weeks do not constitute one 10-hour work week, nor does one 20-hour work week equal two 10-hour work weeks. As stated above, students must work at least eleven weeks, and students must work a minimum of 10 hours each week.
- Time Sheets: LL.M. students must keep a weekly time sheet that confirms the number of hours the student has worked and generally describes the nature of the work performed without disclosing any confidential information. The time sheet must be turned in by close of business on the Monday following the work week. The link for the time sheet/journal document is on the right-hand side of this page.
- Reflection Memo: At the end of the semester, the student will be required to submit a 5-10 page memo reflecting on the externship experience. Please see the link on the right-hand side of this page for information related to the Reflection Memo.
- Mandatory Exit Class: All externship participants must attend a mandatory exit class at the end of the semester.
Fall 2020 Externship Deadlines
- Externship Application and Supervision Agreement Form due no later than Tuesday, September 8, 2020 at 5:00pm
- Mandatory orientation: Thursday, September 3 at 3:00pm. Contact Molly Jackson if you did not receive a Zoom invitation.
- Externships may begin as early as August 31, 2020, but must start no later than the week of September 14, 2020 and end by Friday, December 4, 2020.
- Mandatory submission of evaluation, in lieu of exit meeting: Friday, December 4, 2020 at 4:00pm
- Paper due: Friday, December 11, 2020 by 5:00pm
Spring 2021 Externship Deadlines
- Externship Application and Supervision Agreement Form due no later than Monday, February 1, 2021 at NOON
- Mandatory orientation: Friday, January 29, 2021, at 4:00pm
- Externships may begin as early as January 11, 2021, but must start no later than the week of February 2, 2021 and end by Tuesday, May 4, 2021.
- Mandatory exit class: Friday, April 30, 2021 at 4:00pm
- Paper due: Tuesday, May 11, 2021 by 5:00pm EDT (Eastern Daylight Time)